Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why Dogs and Basses don't mix

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by pmckinney4, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Well my worst nightmere occured today. My lovely dogs knocked over my bass. The body seems to be for the most part ok. However, the kneck popped off. It did pop off cleanly without damage to the sides or back.

The bad news is that the scroll is now cracked the whole way up. I have attached a picture of it.

I am looking for some opinions. Is this something that can be repaired?

If it can't be repaired, I am assuming I will need a whole new neck? Should I also assume that I will need a new fingerboard and bridge?

Any guesses on prices for this type of repair?

Thanks for your opinions!(no, my wife won't let me get rid of the dogs)

Attached Files:

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Of course. Many old Basses have Scroll/PegBox cracks repaired. I don't know how valuable your Bass is but if it is just a Shop German Bass, it may hold better re-sale value with a new Neck. It can be antiqued to look original if you get the right guy to do the job. If it is a Famous Pedigree, then do all you can to save the original Scroll. My English Dodd has its Scroll/PegBox repaired from a long time ago. It's hard to see in pics but up-close, one could find the repair in the back and upper portion. I would rather have a repaired classic Scroll than a new one. On a commercially made Scroll, replacement may be better all around. Your Repair Luthier can advise you better upon examining the Bass in person.

3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    That scroll should glue up well. If done right you won't need any reinforcement. Putting the neck back in is the real problem and will be your major expense. A hipshot would be 500-1000. If you are close enuf to Cinci call Nnick, he'll do you right.

4. Thanks for the opinion KSB. I had pic's of this bass in another thread on this forum.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203559

Pat

5. I would love to have Nick take a look at it, but Cincy is a good 3 to 4 hours away. I recently had a local luthier put a soundpost in my bass, but I wasn't that impressed with him. I am probably going to have to have that redone at the same time. I think I am going to have to try to find someone else that is in the Akron, OH area.

6. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd make the drive. Go eat some chili.

7. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Yeah, Phil's right. This is something that's gotta be done right. 'Specially the neck set, it that's not straight and true your gonna regret it. Nick will do it right. Mebbe you can arange a midpoint thing-Nick travels a bit for gigs and such.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    That's a nice bass and should be fixed right.

In light of the fact that it may out live you, a day out of your life and $50 in gas seems like a fair sacrifice.

9. Well, it's not the worst that could have happened. At least the dog didn't get hurt and the bass can be fixed. :crying:

I have had indoor dogs most of my adult life and have had to balance this with also having delicate instruments and cameras, etc. in my home. I knew as soon as I got a DB that the dogs were just too curious about it. My current youngest dog is high spirited, part American Pitbull Terrier and Boxer. His acrobatic finesse is unequaled. Still, while unpacked from my bass bag, the bass does not sit in a stand or lean. It is suspended vertically from the scroll by a rope loop that is mounted into a wall stud with a large screw eye. The bass rests gently against a soft cloth on the wall suspended by the rope. Not dog-proof entirely (he licks the bass sometimes) but he can't knock it over.

I've heard that they will chew up some expensive gut strings given the opportunity. I have a goat skin drum that I have to keep out of reach and I may get some guts, so the bass room may become a dog-free zone. Dogs will be dogs and you must admit if you own one, the companionship is worth the trouble.

10. jvillarreal

jvillarreal

Oct 7, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    When my dog's tail so much as taps my bass, his little ears go back and gets those cute, scared puppy eyes. When I have children, I hope to instill that same degree of fear when the time comes.

11. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    ouch... definately get it taken care of right. My basses aren't worth all that much in the scheme of things, but Is till won't take them to anyone that I don't know for a fact will do a good job with it.
    As far as the dogs, keep the bass locked in a closet, bedroom, something. I keep my DB in it's case when it is not in use just in case it gets knocked out of it's corner by some bumbler, or my clumsy self. Put one of those kiddie play-pens around it if you have to!

12. rudetayJP

rudetayJP

Jun 24, 2004
    I would love to know if you find someone. I'm in Akron and I've been looking for a good luther for my bass.

13. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If your kid needed open heart surgery, would you look for the closest doctor, or would you go the extra mile to have the best?

14. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I pointed pmckinney4 to a luthier named Reese Williams - (440) 333-5984. He's up by the Cleveland airport. He did all of the work on my 1907 Hawkes Panormo as well as my wife's 200 year old violin while we lived in Northeast Ohio.

Tbeers - comparing a bass to your child? C'mon.

15. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Spoken in jest... I guess a smiley would have been in order. Heck, I don't even have kids!
    :hyper:

16. Yep, everybody knows that you can just make another child, but some basses are irreplaceable...

17. As JAllen mentioned, he pointed me in the direction of Reese Williams up by the Cleveland Airport. My bass is up there now.

He just e-mailed me and said he got the scroll glued up. He is also fixing some cracks, re-fitting the sound post, resetting the neck, adjusting the bridge, and dressing the fingerboard. We'll see how it turns out when it is all done.

Only negative is he will only work on one bass at a time and he is going to have it for a few weeks. Not a problem for me as I am not a professional musician and can play my electric for what I do need a bass for in the mean time. I'll post how it turns out, but I have high hopes.

18. Well, I got my bass back on Saturday. I tried posting on Sunday, but it seems like the forum was down.

Reese did an excellent job. He was able to glue up the scroll and make it real solid. He had to do some work on the joint that the neck fits into. He told me it was way too loose so he had to add some wood to get the neck to fit properly.

He also glued some cracks in the body, refit the end-pin, dressed the fingerboard, refit the sound post, and put adjusters into the bridge. He had to do this because with the new neck angle(new angle is better than the old one was), the bridge was too short, and I was too cheap to pay for a new bridge at this point........Christmas bills and all.

Anyway, I think the bass is better now than before the dogs knocked it down. It sounds great. Next time if I want stuff done to it I'll have to just make an appointment instead of letting my dogs do it for me. I am looking forward to playing it at Christmas Mass.

19. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    When my grandson, Jake, knocked over my Englehardt all I had to do was reset the soundpost and bridge. It sounded 100% better! Thanks Jake...

20. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I was talking to my guitar player at a gig today, and he was saying how he once dropped his vintage Martin D-18, and it sounded 200% better than before he dropped it. Maybe it knocked the bracing loose or something.