Why dont you post in the other "forums" (ie basses)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have noticed that a lot of people who post quite reguarly in the OT (and to a lesser extent Miscellaneous) Forum are almost "unknown" in the forums such as basses and amps.

So, to those who don't "talkbass", why not?

For example, I rarely post in the amps forum because I am not that interested in amps. Ie I like the rig I have, I think it sounds good and don't get all ga-ga about a picture of a vintage SVT etc.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't really care about basses anymore, I never really cared about amps much to begin with. I know what strings I like, I have my pick ups and they work great, I'm not particularly interested currently, my set up is fine, I have a great Multi effects and don't really need more. I lurk around bassists quite a bit but don't often have much to post about. I regularly am in recordings and read all the posts there. I am not particularly interested in recording gear and equipment at the moment. I still read technique but don't post as much there as I used to, same with General instruction. I don't condone the use of Tablature so I see no reason to go there. I'm not in a band, and band management and gig stories don't really interest me that much at the moment. I regularly read and post in miscellaneous. I spend a lot of time around off topic mainly because, it changes more than the other forums, which are all the same stuff over and over again. I have an avid interest in solo bass and participate in ask steve lawson and michael manring fairly frequently. I read the lounge a lot, and post a bit, but I'm getting better. ;)

um, I have too many posts, for the first couple thousand, they were mostly in the bass related forums, but I slowly stopped caring, this understanding extends to all things.
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    I don't have/buy fancy basses nor i need to right now, no real reason to hang on the basses forums.

never cared for amps/pickups/strings forums really, i got some information from them on the beginning and moved on.

since im a "hobby bassist" (studied it seriously but not my real priority, play often with people just for fun) AND since i have read most of the topics before (they just keep on cycling) i dont really need to read the rest of the forums...

hell... i have a hard time to see an original thread here in OT too...

so yeah, for me, this became an entertaiment site about two years ago; Im not even thinking about basses lately when im here
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Understandably the "cyclic" threads would get boring for guys who have been members here for a few years, but what about the "new" users?
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    they still get answers don't they?

also, search feature is their friend...
  6. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I don't know a lot about basses or equitpment yet so i rarley contribute because i wouldn't have anything useful to add. However i spend a lot of time reading threads as a sort of learning tool. If i ever have a question i usualy ask those people and get more then enough helpful information.
  7. When I was new[er], and knew absolutely nothing, the sheer hugeness of the basses forum intimidated me a bit! Now I mostly lurk in the other forums, racked up most of my hugely impressive 200 something posts here in OT.
  8. i like to browse the other forums all the time, yet i rarely have anything to say there so i rarely post there. i spend most of my time browsing the DB side, recordings, bassists, and basses on this side, but most of my posting comes to off topic.
  9. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I personally watch bass/amp forum alot... but i dont have enough knowlage on bass yet so i am asking more question then i should...
    here its just for fun...
    So ya... main reason is i dont have enough expereince to tell people what i think... but i do read in there...

and i mean what to talk about in bass/amp... question/anwsers and show your stuff rite and show cool stuff you see? rite?
  10. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think some of the best lessons can be learned by posting your "inexperienced" opinion, because it gives you a chance to have your view of things tested.

Ie if a newbie posts "which bass should I get" or "how do I fix X", by trying to help them out, you can test your knoweldge and if you are wrong then no doubt someone will point it out to you, but at least you are putting your knoweldge to the test.

Thats one of the real advantages I have found about the other forums, you can validate your "views" on things and help others out to boot!
  11. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    agree, but it is also giving that person a wrong idea... i mean i know enought to recomand my bass i play to someone because i think its very nice... both play, feel, quility, price... but my knowlage of other basses is besicly one of playing it for 1hour...

Most of posts in there are "do you like fender" weeelllllll ya... but um... hmmm i played 3 fenders in my life for 5minz each... maybe...

I mean i put my 2 words in there once in a few... like when i see threats about lefty bass... and yes... learning playing right handed is acctually prity easy...:/

I dont know... i get my two words in there once in a few along with stupid questions... i take it way its going in half of year you will see me there a lot more:]
  12. I don't hang much in the equipment forums simply because I don't have the money to buy the best gear. I look over technique and general instruction, but I get tired of answering the same questions over and over. Thus, I avoiding replying so that I don't patronise or speak down to people who were just like me a few years back.

As WR said, Off Topic is dynamic and full of variety. Simply put, with most of the other forums, its all been done.

13. I am pretty new here, and I post when i consider what I have to say relevant or if I have a particular question about something. I also post for fun sometimes, but this is dying off because all to often some moron gets his panties all in a bunch from a difference of opinion or even simply mis-reading something I posted.
    I do use the search option quite a bit.
    P.S. I will be posting an mp3 or two of my band in the near future, it seems to me that many if not most of the people here have valid thoughts and opinions on things and I am interested to hear what people of very different styles and backgrounds think of my playing ability. No it does not really matter, but I am notne to turn down possibly good advice to help myself improve. :bassist:
  14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Even this thread is redundant. It's been asked and answered MANY times before. I think a lot of people just like to talk to other musicians. -Sort of gives everyone a similar frame of reference.
  15. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I spend time browsing most of the other forums, but I really don't have much to say...

Most of my questions have been answered using the search function... :eek:
  16. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    we read about 50% of threads in basses/amps/strings/GI etc.

however we feel that many of the questions asked, and issues raised can be answered and contributed to by people who have much more knowledge and experience than us, so we rarely feel the need to add anything.
  17. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Yeah I mostly post here or misc. I try to stay away from the bass, amps, and effects forums to keep my gas under control, plus i've been focusing alot more on playing than talking about the latest and greatest as far as equipment goes.
  18. talkBASS.com
    Not talkofftopic.com or talkamps.com etc...;)

19. kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    I'm pretty new. I spend most my TalkBass time in Misc. or OT because I can use the search functionality of this site. There is nearly nothing left to be said after 200k + posts about basses. If I'm wondering about a gear review or something the search nearly always finds more than enough, so no need to post. A lot of people, it seems, just post and never search.

I also like recordings and the Luthier's corner, which is how I found this site in the first place.
  20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile