1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why Is Fender Raising Their Prices AGAIN!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassguppy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. The Geddy Lee is now $999.00

The Mustang is $649.00

Marcus Miller is $1149.00

Mark Hoppus is $799.00

all at MF. Wasn't it like 3-4 years ago the Geddy was around $629.00?

2. Tyrannius

Tyrannius

Jun 14, 2008
    Wow, you're right.

The Reggie Hamilton is now a thousand dollars too.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Everything is getting more expensive. This is to be expected. That happens when the fundamentals are more expensive, especially energy costs. Energy costs affect EVERYONE and EVERYTHING.

4. Because they can ! :crying:

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1, if you can swing it, this is good time to use the 0% financing at GC.

6. hesham8

hesham8

Mar 21, 2008
    Well, let's see:

The value of the US Dollar is dropping at the rate of gravity (32fps^2).
    Increased manufacturing costs.
    Increased energy costs.
    Profit margins dropping raidly.
    Etc...

It seems like a logical move to me: If I were the head of Fender, I'd be raising the prices even more to compensate for the loss in revenue.

7. because they're meanie poo's

8. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Yeah, economics. Costs of materials increases, be it wage, wood, or transport, prices have to match.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Do you really expect companies to produce at a loss?

The cost of manufacturing, materials, gas/transportation are skyrocketing and the value of the dollar is falling. They HAVE to raise their prices to stay in business.

I suggest the next time you think about complaining to go take a basic economics course.

10. Isn't it funny how they almost never drop prices when the ecomomy and dollar is strong and the SECOND the dollar weakens, BANG they've hit you where it hurts!?!?

11. Yeah, but some people are not going to pay $999.00 for a new MIJ Geddy Lee because many of us remember when it was $629.00, $679.00, $749.00, $849.00, and now $999.00 in a span of a few years.

Buying a bass for the most part is discretional spending and I think the pool of discretional money is running dry for most people.

12. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Right, but that is the beauty of the market. When the demand drops, so will prices. Its just the fluctuations of the market.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I disagree. A bass like a Geddy Lee is often a young player's first really nice bass. If you are 17, you don't remember $699 Geddy Lee Sigs.

14. hesham8

hesham8

Mar 21, 2008
    It's why I made it my priority early in life to work hard so that spending would never have to be a problem - that meant actively staying out of social events in high school and college in order to achieve high marks while taking the most difficult classes available.

15. The first Geddy Lee sig. that I ever saw, nearly 2 yrs. ago in a local music shop, was tagged at $1400! Its exceptionally beautiful, I want it really bad but its way out of my budget. Ironically, I was there several days ago to buy music books and its now on sale for $675.....still cant afford it (seems nobody can) because I bought a Fender J this past April which I paid $450....the wife will kill me!!!

16. :rollno:

Perhaps this is Fender's way of giving bass players incentive to buy into the American line of products. Why, I do not know, but perhaps there could be some reason for that. It is a little striking to see the Marcus Miller signature bass cost the same as an American Jazz.

17. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Company's will always find a way to justify higher costs (energy, labor, weak currency). Problem is that once the economy goes back up the prices don't go down. Just like with gas, insurance etc. Oh well, guess you will have to pay even more for an "average" bass with QC issues.

If you want the price to go down just don't buy them and find something on the used market.

18. This sucks.

Guess I'll be buying used now.

19. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    prices will always find a way to go up. when things are good it's "high demand." when things are slow it's a matter of "rising costs." unfortunately for us GASheads the best way to fight it is to not buy.

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago