why jacks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TGEvans, Feb 21, 2006.

1. I have an aguilar db 680 preamp and power it with a qsc plx 3002 power amp.The Aguilar only has jack ins and outs.Why dont they use xlr connections?Any info would be great.
  2. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Unfortunately,I cannot give any info...only facts:the implementation of a XLR (symetric) signal interface would slightly raise the production cost of a given device.Aside,maybe Aguilar didn't considered necessary the XLR thing on that specific preamp (kinda "...keep it for instrument use only,let the PA aside" engineering attitude).
    You might,though,run the Aggie through the QSC by using patch cables having jacks on one side and XLRs on the other.
  3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    The likely answer is that the Aggie doesn't have a balanced output. The standard for unbalanced output is some sort of tip/shield connection like 1/4" phone or RCA, etc...

You shouldn't have any problem mating it up with the QSC. The PLX has XLR inputs and parallel 1/4" inputs that will accept both TRS balanced and TS unbalanced plugs. You can use a standard 1/4" patch cable and be done with it.
  4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    It doesn't have them because you don't need them. :smug:
  5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

I guess in this case you are right.