1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why not much talk on WYN Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dchavez, Mar 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dchavez

dchavez

Jul 13, 2011
    Researching Wyn basses i see that there was a lot of talk back around 2014. What is going on? Are they still good high quality instruments?

2. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I tried several a few months back. They were awesome. I have a bunch of high end basses that surpass the Wyn in cost and I can say that they were just as good as them.

The best part is that the craftsman ship is pretty unique. They were good looking.

TolerancEJ and dchavez like this.
  3. dchavez

dchavez

Jul 13, 2011
    They really look amazing. Design looks great. Price is very reasonable. Just curious why more people are not talking about Wyn

4. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I believe he makes them to custom order. The music store I go to in Japan orders a bunch, which is why I was able to test several. But I think this is a rare case.

TolerancEJ and dchavez like this.
  5. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    They certainly look unique. A bit over the top for my taste, but I'm sure that for some, they're the bee's knees.

6. maxifunk

maxifunk

Dec 17, 2018
    He's a great guy but is a one man shop his back log can be very long I wish it wasn't.
    I may reach out again to see where his back log is now.

dchavez likes this.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    They seemed to be the flavor of the month with gospel players for a while, but being a small shop without shops carrying them means there’s not going to be many people who have tried them, hence not much talk.

8. They are a nice looking instrument but perhaps not really 'distinct' enough to merit masses of disussion outside of those who have played them. I'm sure they're delightful but they probasbly enjoy no more or less discussion than many similar handbuilt instruments made by skilled luthiers. The wood choices are lovely, but the shapes are quite traditional and there are no wild and wacky features - just good old luthiery.

There are other basses out there like Sukop and Surine thast are both distinctive in design and look and sound world class, but they are rarely mentioned either. It is to our benefit that there are plenty of very skilled builders out there now, the flipside of that being that simply building beatiful basses won't make you front page news anymore.

To that end, I wonder what it would take as a luthier to become the next Fodera, Pedulla or Ken Smith, say. I wonder if the pool of builders is now so large that we won't have any big names like that again.

dchavez and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You can ask the same about question about quite a few basses.
    Some people are unaware, some people are set with what they like, and some people have absolutely no desire to buy a Maximus, Soulstar, Big Street, Bass King, Faze One, Cali Custom, Stewart, Franklin, or a Hilton bass.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  10. All talk, no pics?

What a jip. :meh:

ElMon likes this.
  11. Kind of a 'gospel' brand like a lot of others. They seem well made but low production numbers means there won't be much talk. Kind of similar to Devon basses, they look great but not much talk about them other than a few guys who seem obsessed with them.

scuzzy likes this.
  12. johndb

johndb Bass is the Place! Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Illinois
    Here's a link to the Wyn Club thread. There's not a lot of action there sometimes, probably because there's not a lot of Wyn basses out there. Compare the amount of Fodera basses for sale in the classifieds vs. Wyn basses.

WYN BASS OWNERS CLUB

Randy is an artist, and his basses are truly world class. Here's a picture of my Wyn.
    IMAG4054.

13. johndb

johndb Bass is the Place! Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Illinois
    IMAG4052. IMAG4050_1.

GHOST AT, maxifunk, Fred312b and 7 others like this.
  14. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Man, the number of tiny boutiques making basses is remarkable. I had no clue until I found this place. You know these guys aren’t getting rich. Which means they’re doing it because they love it. More power to them.

maxifunk and Scott Lynch like this.
  15. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Reminds me of the Peavey Cirrus?

Attached Files:

lfmn16 likes this.
  16. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I had the same with some Italian brand D'alessandro. Made a high quality, good sounding custom basses and guitars, but didn't make the place in the market. Can't explain - why ?

17. I think they look amazing too! I'd definitely love to own one.

If the following attached post from the Wyn club is still accurate, the wait is about 5 years. Other posts in the club said that most of that is your queue in line of other orders placed prior to yours and you don't send your deposit until he's ready to begin your build.

I also understand they were affected by the fires in California last year, so that would have also pushed back some of the work.

Whippet likes this.
  18. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

I don't play a Wyn and likely never will, but for those who haven't seen it, YouTube has an interesting documentary about the man and his work:

Documentary is from 2014, hence the volume of discussion back then. I had only just started playing the bass again, so I watched with great interest.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    johndb, Whippet, BassGeekJack and 2 others like this.
  19. desert_rain

desert_rain

Jul 14, 2015
    Eindhoven
    My bass advisor/teacher has Wyn fretless and it is awasome! Best frettles I v seen. Maybe one day I can afford one of Wyn..

dchavez likes this.
  20. dchavez

dchavez

Jul 13, 2011
    That wait is probably right. I been on the waiting list for about 3-4 years. Just got a call last week.

TolerancEJ likes this.