1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by himluis1, Oct 11, 2013.

1. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    i always loved the looks , sounds and feel of fender jazz bass , i owned a couple in the past few years , mim , active deluxe and even a jazz v ... but like 3 months ago i bought a squier precision bass , chris aiken signature and after adding a tone knob and change the pickguard for a tort , I can't put it down , im on a worship group and most of the places i play at are churches , ans small worship concerts n events and even for practice ill prefer my SQUIER p bass over the other ones ... WHY ??? cause is new ?? cause is different ??? cause p is better than j ??? don't know ... what u all think 1381502714517.

2. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    this is my Fender jazz bass
    the one being left out at home lol
    is a 2007-2008 model with perloid guard and chrome knobs .. nothing wrong with it ... i just feel the p bass is so easy to play and i dont know but it sounds very good ...

3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Why? Well Squier makes a good bass and it is still a Fender product in spite of the branding. I can't speak to all the variations in Fender necks but Precision necks are different from Jazz necks and it is quite possible that you just prefer the Precision neck dimensions. Certainly the fact that it is new is going to endear it to you for a while. There are reasons to like expensive basses too but budget models are so well made and perform so well these days that it is not surprising at all to like one.

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Don't listen to these guys.

It's because a P is better than a J.

5. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    It's because there is something wrong with you. Seek a doctor, immediately!

6. jbd5015

jbd5015 Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    cause thats a sweet bass. the pearl blocks with the maple neck, white body and tort are a SLAMMIN combo. Very classic clean lookin bass. ive been jonesin for a white p-bass for that very combo youve got there. and what a killer deal for those looks! and if it sounds and plays good! a no-brainer!

7. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    yeap , is a $300 bass , a $12.00 pickguard and $25.00 to add a tone knob ... $337.00 total ... while the jazz is a $600.00 + $35.00 pickguard and $30.00 for chrome knobs ... p feels a bit better to play with , looks cool and way cheaper ...

8. I recently put down my American Deluxe Jazz for a Epiphone Allan Woody Rumblekat. I think it's just because it's different and new. It's not going to be a forever thing, and I'm hoping when me and the Jazz get back together we can re-kindle some old love - hehehe.

9. Pheasant23

Pheasant23

Oct 11, 2013
    Played my buddy's new Mike Dirnt Sig Squire. He paid $200 and its awesome. I have played others similar squires that lacked but obviously it caught my attention enough to try every cheap bass i see from now on!

10. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Squier < Fender

Squier = Fender

Squier > Fender

11. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I think it's that "NEW" :hyper: thing.

12. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

Why? Why not!

13. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Maybe it's because you're playing a lot of mellow worship music, and the P-bass sits better in that mix than a J?

14. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    It's just a thing you're going through. I flip flop back and forth between basses regularly.Some day, maybe years from now, you may pick up your Jazz and find yourself loving it all over again.

15. Feel and tone color...they are subjective. You like the feel and you like the tone color.

Your intellect tells you that A+B=C (you "should" prefer a Fender over a Squire) but your gut knows that the feel and tone color of this instrument are wonderful. For your hands and ears, this is the instrument for you. You found it! Hooray!

Away with this brand stuff and play on.

:bag:

16. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    well i bought the p.bass back may this year , its been 4-5 months , but the pickguard n tone knob upgrade was done like 3 weeks ago ... that's when i started to use it mire than anything else i have ... i dont know , i always been a fan of the jazz bass ... i had 5 of then at 1 point , now im down to a fender jazz n squier p ... man last night i had a worship/gospel . concert type of service ... the p was played all night the j didn't even got taken out of the gig bag ... i guess the only think that still holds me back a little is that brand name at the headstock ... im starting to believe squier is definitely stepping up his game , my bass is like a vintage modified type with the high mass bridge and duncan design pickup ... i love tge neck .. crazy right ?

17. jason weatherby

jason weatherby

Aug 30, 2012
    P bass does sit better in a mix. I'm biased, I'm a P bass guy. I bought a Fender Affinity J 5-string just to give 5-string a try and was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY by just how good this $150 bass is !!!!! Just AMAZING ! Just got a MIUSA P bass 5-er, going to get to try her for the first time this Sunday. YEAH! P bass !!!!!

18. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

Sand the logo off the headstock if it is a problem.

19. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Of course p basses are "better! :bag:

Well my Jazz is a Fender V and my P bass is a Squier P/J 5er. And I must say the P-bass neck IS one of my all-time favorite necks and the neck on my Fender Jazz is my least favorite. And there is something a bout a P-bass fer sure. I have no problem with the quality of anything on either my Fender or my Squier. BUT if I have any complaint it would be those folks who regard Squier instruments as "not serious" and I would like the Squier better if it were alder rather than agathis but that is a VERY minor virtually invisible whine. But as far as I know Fender doesn't even sell a P/J 5er anymore.

20. I prefer wider string spacing at the nut so much I built a 4-string with 1.875" nut width the precision is 1.625" the jazz 1.5"
    I dislike jazz necks,if owned those basses I would probable play the p-bass as well.