1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by woody357, Nov 4, 2018.

1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    i don’t understand this. Why buy a bass that was design to souls like it does just to make changes. I have a Fender American elite 5 and dto my ears it sound like a fender Especially in passive mode. The bass cost $2000 + why buy it of all ypu are going to do is cjange the PU or preamp, why not get a custom made bass.

2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Depends on the bass and the person.

I have had my Jazz bass for 5 years and consider changes but I couldn’t do it. It’s just to darn good stock.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I know what you mean.
    Every time I see someone asking about changing the pickups on a G&L L2000 I just shake my head.

4. Because a Fender bass is one of the easiest to mod and make your own. In my case, I prefer Hi-Mass bridges and usually mod any Fender that doesn't have one.

blap350, gregmon79, JaseyT and 4 others like this.
  5. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    People can do whatever they like to their bass. Why they do it is not my concern.

6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    because, Illuminati.

I've said too much...

7. Why not?

The Rage, Duder, iriegnome and 7 others like this.
  8. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Some folks buy an instrument for the way it’s built stock.

Sone folks buy an instrument, but have an inclination to tweak it to taste.

Both set of folks are just fine.

The folks that like to tweak aren’t sick or twisted, nor need to be questioned or pitied about their intentions.

And the tweakers certainly don’t do anything egregious enough to warrant a post on a forum. Do you question the sanity of the Mustang guys that replaced the two-barrel carburetor with a four-barrel?

I’ve never seen a time where people questioned other folks’ inclinations as much as is done these days. WTH???

I confess, I changed the pups and pre on a very nice American Elite Jazz 5. Not because the OEM units were bad, they are actually very good, but I wanted something a little different.

The bass that is my heart these days is a Mike Lull M5V Jazz-style bass. As so very fine as that bass is completely stock, I was still looking for a little different flavor in the tone. So I changed the pups. And I’m much happier because of it.

Oh, and grab your blood-pressure monitor...I replace the B tuner with a Hipshot D (or A, now, I guess) tuner. Just call me certifiable...:D

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    woody357, petch, JRA and 6 others like this.
  9. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm that guy! lol but then I paid a whopping $200 for mine and it sounds more like a guitar.
    I'll side with the op, maybe just cos I don't have an extra 2K to toss off on a mod platform.

MattZilla and jd56hawk like this.
  10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    A) There are better preamps. OK, “better” is in the mind of the player. But, the Fender preamp is not a circuit that cats go out of their way to retrofit. If you like it, that’s great.

B) Fender does have some very desireable design aspects, particularly on the 5 string neck. Sadowsky, for example, does not offer 18 mm string spacing at the bridge, and thus, has a pretty wide neck profile to fit the 19 mm spacing.

C) You may think your $2000 Fender is expensive; but, have you priced the “boutique” J Bass builds? They are considerably more expensive.

There are multiple highly rational reasons for modifying a Fender. But, OOC, why do you care what other people do with their basses, if you are set on what you do with yours?

JaseyT likes this.
  11. Because the pieces of an instrument are numerous and all aspects are at play to create the sound/feel/etc. Each manufacturer offers a limited number of options. So in the pursuit of something different people may swap out bits. This especially makes sense if you like the FEEL of an instrument but want something different sonically. And ultimately this is what instrument makers are best at: Building instruments. Maybe not pickups or preamps. This is not to say there aren't many instruments with great electronics stock but I think my point is still clear.

AboutSweetSue likes this.
  12. TLDR: just because something is designed to sounds a certain way doesn't mean it's 100% what one wants

JaseyT likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't recall asking for permission, but the reason I did it to a couple of my basses is because I liked everything but one or two things...usually the pickups, on one the bridge, too. I don't do mods lightly and never have. If I mod something, it needs it.

The Rage, diegom, Duder and 10 others like this.
  14. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    Some people like things you don't.

15. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    They want a bass that looks like the fender elite, but they don't like how it sounds. They think a custom shop order is too expensive for the small difference they want. Any more questions?

JaseyT and City like this.
  16. Most basses are designed to target a certain market. If you don't like a P bass, maybe a J is more your style. If neither of those pleases you, there's also a Mustang or a Tele. That's not even going into the other models like the Jaguar, Starcaster or Bronco. Even though all of these Fender bass styles are different, they are all mass produced and generally have at least a few different tones to choose from. So why bother to make more than one model? The number of potential customers is exponentially greater than the number of bass models in all of their configurations. Each musician is seeking their own sound, be it the one that is identical to a favorite song or one all their own. Finding just the right combination of stock and/or aftermarket parts is part of that quest. Now if we can all agree to like only vanilla ice cream, lots of freezer space in the supermarket won't be wasted on the other flavors.

17. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'd have a better chance of knowing what he meant if he didn't type with his elbows.

Axstar, murphy, TNCreature and 6 others like this.
  18. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Yay. Bass Nazis are now apparently a thing.

19. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Man. The carrot kool aid has been a wicked pissah lately

MuttThud, J-Bassomatic and saabfender like this.