1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wierd oscilation on low B while playing G on E string 2011 AM Jazz deluxe V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBWRENCH, May 18, 2011.

1. TBWRENCH

TBWRENCH

Nov 23, 2009
    Wisconsin
    HI everyone, been lurking for a while, need some help.
    I have a 2011 American Deluxe Jazz Bass V. Just got it Fri.
    on Sun. took it to a recording session. After spending some time and getting my part right, upon playback we heard this very distinct "vibrato" on the G note E string. After trying a bunch of different stuff I found it was the B string oscillating. I muted it with my hand and re recorded my parts and it was all good.

Anyone else have this come up? I don't want to have to dampen the low B all the time, my other basses don't need that. Any fixes or suggestions?

thank you in advance.
    tbwrench

2. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Strings too close to the pups? :)

3. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    It's called Sympathetic resonance. Play a E on your G string, you'll see the E string starting to vibrate. You can't win against physics :D.

4. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    This is an issue that is resolved with technique. Do you play with your fingers or a pick? If you play with your fingers you could try using the low-B as a thumbrest and adopt a floating thumb style. If you play with a pick you'll have to work on muting with your left hand.

5. TBWRENCH

TBWRENCH

Nov 23, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I just unboxed it Fri. factory settings, I will look at the PU height though, thanks!

6. TBWRENCH

TBWRENCH

Nov 23, 2009
    Wisconsin
    If this theory holds true, why doesn't my BTB5 or my mexican JazzV do it?

It sounds feasable to me, I will try the E on the G string thing, sounds interesting.

Thanks for the reply!

7. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    This is probably what's happening.

Plus...

"... we heard this very distinct "vibrato" on the G note E string. After trying a bunch of different stuff I found it was the B string oscillating."

If you are familiar with the Overtone Series, you will know that the Fourth Overtone (Fifth Harmonic) of "G" is "B", but up 2 octaves. This "B" may cause the Seventh Overtone (8th Harmonic) of the "Low B-String" to sympathetically vibrate.

These TWO high "B's" are in the same octave. But, the "B" coming from the "Low G" is naturally 14 cents FLAT - assuming that your bass is in tune.

This 14 cent difference may be creating the distinct "vibrato".

Do you have "bright" round wounds (lots of overtones) on this bass?

8. TBWRENCH

TBWRENCH

Nov 23, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Bob, I was a pick player for years. About 2002, I started using my thumb and first two fingers. Mostly thumb and index finger. I think I can overcome this problem with technique but I don't think I should have to. Especially considering how much this bass costs! I will work on the technique and the thumb rest/B string thing is a great idea!
    thanks!

9. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Depends on how your bass vibrates, probably. The B harmonics on your B is probably much more present, making the B string vibrate more.

10. What about intonation issues? My Squier Affinity P had this issue: playing past the fifth fret would cause a sort of oscillation. Turns out the intonation was out of whack.

11. I'm pretty sure they do, maybe not as strongly. Maybe the new bass is just more resonant than the others.

By the way I'm not a physicist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

12. TBWRENCH

TBWRENCH

Nov 23, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Intonation is right on.

13. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Your BTB5 and mex JazzV are simply not as resonant at that particular frequency.

Muting is an integral of bass guitar technique, whether on pick or fingerstyle.

14. TBWRENCH

TBWRENCH

Nov 23, 2009
    Wisconsin
    whats funny is the amp was in an ISO room and I was playing in the control room with phones on.

I know muting is a part of it but until now I have not had to and honestly I am lazy and hate change. But I will try!

15. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    TBWRENCH, you might want to read my post about creating the distinct "vibrato"

:D

16. TBWRENCH

TBWRENCH

Nov 23, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Stick_Player, could you link it for me, I searched but couldn't find it. Man, you have a lot of posts!

thanks to all for the helpful suggestions, I have some direction now.

17. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    You don't need an amp to make a bass resonate. If you play your bass unplugged you'll feel the neck and body vibrate against you, that's already resonance.

18. TBWRENCH

TBWRENCH

Nov 23, 2009
    Wisconsin