1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wild Cherry

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Wayon, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Hi. I know I'm in the TAB section, but I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find the actual bass score for Play That Funky Music White Boy. I'm having some difficulty.
    Thanks.

2. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    Pretty straight forward tune. E most the song, G for the chorus, then follow this for the "lay down and boogie"

G|--9-7---7-----------------------------|
    D|-----9----9-5-7-5-7-9-7-5-------------|
    A|--------------------------7-5---------|
    E|------------------------------0-------|

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Someone else heer @TB caught this-
    Your first NOTE above (9th fret G-string) is an "E". That isn't "correct".
    Everybody plays it like that...the OP that caught it sez it's 9th fret on the D-string...a "B". I did try this about year ago when I sat in with a local Oldies group. Works pretty well.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    He does a good job...& he also plays the "E" as the 1st note of that pentatonic riff.
    Note: He is not slapping this tune...slapping this tune seems to be another thing that almost everyone does.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    -----------------------------------------------------
    -10--12--9--12--9------9-----9---------------------
    --------------------12----12----12--10--------------
    ----------------------------------------12--10--0--

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Joe-
    ...are you saying the 1st note of the pentatonic run is a "C".

In this Wild Cherry video, the bassit plays the pentatonic run in, what I would call, typical pentatonic fingering...
    Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music - YouTube

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Im going off of the first bkdwn off the studio version of the song. Cant check your link cuz im at work. Give a good listen to the studio version. Unless i have some obscure version it sounds pretty distinct.

8. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Joe's right... and virtually everyone I've ever seen play that song does it wrong. :)

9. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    I never noticed that C in there until Joe pointed it out....now its all I hear. I always started it on E. I even slowed it down to hear it clearly and it's without a doubt a C. Yep I've been one of those guys! lol Not tomorrow night though. :)

10. Joe's right. And though I finger it differently (I grab the D on string 1 and work down a minor pentatonic), all those notes are correct as well.

11. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    AH....your right...lol Thanks for posting that part...guess lot's of us were doing it wrong :)

12. Dots attached :)

Attached Files:

13. ChrisDev

ChrisDev Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2009
    Belgium
    Ritter Instruments Team & Owner BassLessons.be