Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wild Maple post pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 4, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Is Wild Maple like a mix between quilt and flame?.If you have any pics please feel free to post them.Thanks

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    My Warmoth body was called "wild maple." It looks like this:

[​IMG]

3. MAJOR METAL

It does seem like a mixture.

4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Yeah, it's kinda swirly - not really the billowy quilt, definitely not the uniform flame... but I really like it, knots and all

5. MAJOR METAL

Very Unique indeed , great stuff. :)

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    The back of my neck on my cheapo Aria seems to be wild. It has a bit of quilt high up and some random birdseyes (maybe just alot of knots) along with some really wicked almost spalt like grain. It's not a great neck in terms of stability but it actually has the best feeling neck of all my basses.

7. MAJOR METAL

I guess their are better party animals out their :D

8. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Here's my Warmoth tele (OK, so it's a guitar, but you get the idea). It's somewhere between quilt and flame, with a really interesting pattern.

Attached Files:

9. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Looks like a butterfly

10. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

That may be the coolest piece of maple I've ever seen. I love how there is no real pattern to it. Looks like one of those liquid sand art things that you turn over and watch.

A real beauty.

11. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Pete The Fish at Wal called this "figured maple" - seems to fit the bill:
    [​IMG]

12. MAJOR METAL

Very Nice, looks like that could be a heavy one.

13. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    :D

14. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    There was some nutsy giant birdseyeish or something maple stuff on Warmoth before, I think they called it wild. But it's gone now :bawl:

15. Call me cynical but I think "wild" maple is a term some marketing man thought up to describe some maple that wasn't totally flame or birdseye or quilt but a mixture. I think Pete the fish was accurate when he described it as figured maple.

That said I like the look of the tops posted but I think the term "wild" is just to make it more sexy and therefore more sellable and more valuable to the luthier. If it does not have a name or catagory then the luthier would not be able to shift it so easily but with a new catagory it has added value and people will more readily be prepared to buy it.

Hope this does not start a flame war [sorry bad pun but I couldn't resist it] :D

Regards

Matthew

16. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Heaven forbid that people would have the nerve to try to make the product they're selling more attractive... :D

I think it's as good a term as any; if you just call it "figured", you'll get people asking "what kind of figuring? Quilted? Flamed?", and then you have to say, "well, it's kind of, um..."

I think "wild" does quite a good job of explaining the nature of the figuring. One less sylable than "random" and a whole lot less than "kind of, um". Personally, I wouldn't buy a body with a "wild" figured top without seeing what it actually looked like - I bought my tele because I liked the look of the top, not because it was "wild".

Then again, I'm sure the same discussion has taken place about "spalted" tops. I mean, it's just rotten wood, right...?
    *hides*

17. MAJOR METAL

I think Wild works since the others like flame or quilt have a particular deffinition to them they get deffined as such.