1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wilde J-45s............

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by soulman969, Aug 26, 2012.

1. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I'm thinking about putting a set in my Jazz and just wanted a little feedback from some players who have used them for bit. Just some impressions of their overall tonality and what you like or don't like about them.

Did a search and found quite a few comments about the PBass pickup but less about the JBass model so I thought I specifically ask these questions of the Jazz players out there.

Thanks fellas. :)

2. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    they are noiseless. cool.

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I love 'em. I've put several sets in my Carvins. Noiseless, great clean clear sound with no artificial emphasis. And the price is right too.

4. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Thanks for the feedback guys and for those sound samples warnan. I got what I was looking for in the way of answers here and that sample helped quite a bit.

I've got a set of Keystones in one of my Teles and I love the transparency of those pickups. I'm looking for the same out of the J-45's but without losing that low register JBass "growl" and they still have it.

In reading another opinion about them that player seemed to think that "growl" was lacking. It isn't or at least to my ears it isn't. Plus the clarity and consistency across the tonal spectrum is there too. Very smooth tight lows and not at all brittle in higher register.

Thanks a lot. Now Bill has another convert for his bass pickups as well. I appreciate the help. :)

5. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    I too recently put them in my Carvin thanks to Chucko58 and others on here. I have played Bartolini's, Ken Smith's, Duncan's etc...and for the price, the clarity and tonal range cannot be matched. Some will argue that Nordstrand or Delano's are "better" but you're also looking at 2x the price for something made by a "kid" compared to one of the most sought after original pickup makers in America.

It is a very clean, noise free, balanced tone with a wide range of tone, especially if you have an active 3-band. Some would call it "modern" but I think you still achieve that dark jazz tone that some would call "vintage" with these with the right finger positions and bass guitar. To me, I'm not big into labeling sound quality when it's excellent sound quality. I can't really explain in words exactly how much more "clear" the J-45s sound compared to Barts and many other pickups. And...because the pole pieces are raised in the center gradually, you have a much more balanced tone where as before you probably had flat pickups that scooped out the mids.

It takes a little getting used to but I love them now and wished more people would consider Bill Lawrence (Wilde) pickups. Not his competitor copy cat guy using his name.

**edit**
    Also, when you go to order them call about once an hour until you get an answer. I seriously had to try their line about 4x until I received an answer as they don't have a fancy 800 number that has call waiting and all. And if you need dimensions, they are all online. I ended up buying 2 bridge pickups since my Carvin has the same size j-bass pickup cutouts. Becky from Wilde pickups said that this is very common and nothing to worry about. The only difference she said is the neck pickup has a slightly lower output to compensate for the position, but all you do is lower the neck pickup a bit if you purchase the bridge one. It's pretty simple.

6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I had a set, but I had to sell them to raise some cash. (I ended up putting back in the SJB-1 that were stock with my bass). They were very good pups! The radius of the pole pieces made for very even toned strings.

I also bought his Q filter. I had to scratch my head for a while to wire it up, (even with his diagrams). The descriptions make it hard to decipher what it exactly does. I wired it onto a push/pull pot with my tone pot, it acts like a variable on-board scoop, cool for soloing. Otherwise, it is out of the circuit with the my push/pull pushed back in, and I revert back to my standard tone control.

7. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Thanks guys. It's that transparency I get out of the Keystones in my Tele that I'm looking for. When I play in low register with a lot of walking lines and motown or southern soul lines and feels I like a nice tight, clear, punchy low end. The stock Alnico V pickups in a CV Jazz are actually quite good but then again so were the stock pickups in my Tele. But when I switched to the Keystones it was like a heard more guitar and less pickup. Very good became exceptional.

I play a set of GHS Pressure Wounds "fingerstyle" and those have helped end my search for the perfect string for my ears and my style of playing and now I want to tweak the bass for just a little more clarity and definition. I don't want a tonal change so much as I just want an improved version of what I have. The combination of that bass with those strings is already very good.

Nelson thanks for your input. I think the design may help with what little balance problem remains and it's another reason I thought these pickups might be perfect. Even tough the Pressure Wounds themselves are an extremely well balanced string both in feel and volume but I'm still getting just a little more output from the E than I'd like and it's not been easy to take it out of there without affecting the A somewhat as well. I looked at Bill's design and read what he had to say about them and I think this will do by design what isn't easy otherwise. It's not so much a matter of lowering the output of the E string as it is raising that of the A and D to match it.

I'm sold on Bill's ideas and designs and quality like his at the prices he charges is a true bargain. I'm kind of familiar with the nature of communicating with them and the delays that one can sometimes experience but since July they seem to be listing what they have in stock for shipment within one week so a quick check of the website and a call to Becky to confirm it should give me the answers I need. It took me about a month to get my Keystones but they were well worth the wait.

Coolhand I'm sorry I missed out on buying yours. Saving a few bucks buying from another member helps both of us out. If that's Appleton as in Wisconsin then how are things in the Fox Valley? I lived in Green Bay for over 10 years and still have many friends and family there. Lots of good memories of everything but the weather, LOL.

Thanks again guys. I'm sure this is gonna be the right decision so it moves to the top of the list as this months project. My Teles have gotten all of the attention lately and sometimes it's hard to figure out why when I'm about 75% bassist and only 25% guitarist. There's a PBass I need to add to the herd soon so I'm hoping these J-45s give me what I need and if so I'll probably put his P-46 in that.

Cheers.

8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Yup, that's the place! Things here are well.