Wilde P46 Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Shindig73, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Shindig73

Shindig73 Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Please forgive the noobish question, but given the Wilde P46 pickup is good for 4, 5 and 6 string basses, assume string spacing is not an issue if I want to install on my 18mm 5 stringer?

J Posega likes this.
  2. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    Should be just fine. Those things act like bar magnets so spacing is good. Are your pickup routes standard P-Bass size or one long and one short. It'll still work, you'll have an open space where the long one is routed. Also, the A string will be picked up by both pickups, giving it a wider sensing length. Tagging @Ric5 as he may be able to elaborate if that makes a big difference or not as he has done a lot of that configuration.
    good luck.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  3. Shindig73

Apr 28, 2018
    Thanks much for the response! Much appreciated.

Datsgor likes this.
  4. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm not @Ric5, but I have a little bit of experience with this. I had the P46 (and J45) in a Warmoth deluxe 5 string whose spacing was 18mm, and the routing was for a regular 4-string P pickup. The pole pieces seemed to cover all the strings well, and doubled up on the A, as mentioned by @Datsgor. I thought I noticed the A string being a touch louder than the others.

I eventually changed to a different PJ5 set where only one of the P pickups had poles under the A. I *think* it made a difference, but it could also just be post-purchase rationalization. To be honest, other than *feeling* a difference in the A string, I don't think my new set was an improvement over the Wilde.

Unfortunately I don't have any recordings of the P46, but I did have it on that bass for at least 4 years. I'm keeping them in case I end up with a PJ 4-string at some point in the future.

TN WOODMAN and Datsgor like this.
  5. Shindig73

Apr 28, 2018
    Thanks, Pogi! Very helpful.

6. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Me as well. I had a pair of P46 in a five-string. It was subtle, but I could tell that the A string had a thicker tone than the others. I moved them to an eight-string, and put EMG P5s in the fiver. Both sound amazing now!

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  7. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    A bit different to your thinking; maybe have a look at the Nordstrand Big Blades as a possible alternative? I believe string spacing is basically irrelevant.

8. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I had a set in a 6 string bass. No issues, sounded fantastic.

9. Shindig73

Apr 28, 2018
    Thanks, all, for the guidance! Talkbass is such an incredible resource.

10. Hectobar

Hectobar

Nov 10, 2016
    Montana
    P46 in a fiver for me also. The A string sounds slightly different as both pu halves sit under one string. Will be changing it out. Just been lazy and not
    Playing 5 much.

the sound of th pu was great. Just not even. Saving it for a 4 string.

Was totally bummed.