Wilkinson pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aras, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    Hey, mates!
    Can you tell me are they good? I want to change my Yamaha trbx 174 stock pickups, and now choosing between EMJ PJ set and SD SPB-3 quarters. And suddenly saw them on ebay, that Wilkinsons. EMG's are actives, so -1 for them, but in general i'm lost between three pickup sets. My thoughts:
    1- EMG - good, but active
    2 - SD SPB-3 - most likely
    3- Wilkinson - ???? how are they?

2. Danomo

Danomo Guest

Apr 25, 2013
    You can do a search here for more results, as this has been asked before.

I bought a PJ Wilk set because they were Fire Saled on Amazon a few years back when my JP-90's J pup went microphonic. The Wilky is very similarly voiced to the original American Alnico that was in it, just a tad hotter (I lowered it a bit more than the original). I tried the P pup, it was similar/a bit hotter as well, but a tad more trebly than the stock (I only tried it for a day or two before putting the Fender P back in). They are a good value.

I'm still using the jpup, it's holding up well.

Aras likes this.
  3. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    Geez mate, thanks! My fault, should see search. Thanks for reply!

Danomo likes this.
  4. Yolly111

Yolly111

Oct 27, 2013
    Bought a set of as a replacement in a MIM Fender J and I was happy with the results: they sounded great with no hum. Good for the price.

Aras likes this.
  5. tspallone

tspallone

Oct 13, 2011
    Nanuet, NY
    I put a couple of single coils in a fretless build in a standard J configuration with a no name pre amp. First time with single coils and so, not sure if that noise that comes from them is normal when you deviate from the center spot between each pickup. Been thinking about swapping out the preamp and pickups altogether.

6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    That's typical of single-coils, you preamp has nothing to do with the single-coil hum.
    Ways to avoid it:
    Use split-coil (noise-canceling) 'single-coils'.
    Always keep both of them at the same level.
    Use anything else than single-coils.

7. tspallone

tspallone

Oct 13, 2011
    Nanuet, NY
    Yes, I'm beginning to think that I only like humbuckers. I hate that noise.

8. massimomb

massimomb Commercial User

Jan 20, 2016
    Pisa.Italy
    Wilkinson is a brand for products made in Korea and China,
    Electric Bass Pickups | Metallor
    so, if you are looking for a pickups that works, they certantly works, but they have nothing to do with Duncans or EMG pickups, they just don't play in the same league.but don't get me wrong, they are not "bad", the most of the instruments actually are fitted with pickups like those, but if you consider an upgrade, maybe you better keep the yamaha wich probably are the same.

Aras likes this.
  9. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    Thanks, mate! I already bought an EMG active set. Dont like the sound though... As i can see now, i am a passive sound fan)) so i ordered a custom passive PJ set with old school specs

massimomb likes this.
  10. MightyMag

MightyMag Supporting Member

Years ago I put an active set of EMGs in a Yamaha bass and the sound was not improved at all. In fact I put the stock pups back in.

Aras likes this.