1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will a DigiTech guitar Multieffects processor be ok for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slobake, Mar 12, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something

2. slobake

3. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Depends on your definition of "Okay". Will it pass signal and give you effects? yes. Will it sound good? Probably not.

4. slobake

Thanks fisticuffs, twenty bucks seems cheap but if I don't use the pedal it is a waste of money. I think I'll pass.

5. Some may be ok, like the comp, digital delay, reverb (if you want that on your bass), etc. It'll be iffy and or a gamble with the phase shifting effects like chorus, phasor, etc., as they often cut out the low end. The EQ will be just OK and probably work for most situations, but if you really have some nasty muddiness when playing live, your probably out of luck. Any filter-based effects like, wah wah, envelope filter (auto-wah), etc. will probably sound terrible. Typically, band-pass filters are used on guitar, which cut highs and lows, and will make your bass sound gutless. Additionally, a good bass wah or envelope filter typically has a tighter Q then guitar-versions. As such, the filter-based effects may sound weak and not nearly funky enough. If you can see/hear that the pedal uses low-pass filters for the wah or envelope filter, then it might be OK, but probably not great.

Without all that said, it's best just to listen and see how you like it, regardless of the stuff I wrote up above. If you think it sounds good, then it sounds good. Period.

Lastly, MAKE SURE you can get that power supply. I'm not familiar with that specific pedal, but often it's an unusual one that's tough to get. Check this out before anything else.

Guitar effects are made for guitars, and usually have issues with bass. It may work ok for you, but I can almost guarentee that 1/2 or so of the effects will be terrible for your bass. Good luck!

6. slobake

Thanks Uber, I think I'll check out the other one I listed. One problem, I have had some problems buying used pedals used and having them start malfunctioning shortly after I buy them. I am okay with buying used basses and good amps but a little hesitant when it comes to effects. I'm wondering if I should just pay the extra for a new one.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a digitech processor for your bass, the digitech bp355 would be a good choice for that.

8. at that price it's hard to complain. i had an RP300 an old bandmate left behind & enjoyed playing with it for a couple months. eventually i outgrew it & wanted better effects. but it's an ok unit to wrap your head around various fx types before running out to buy more expensive versions.

9. They're cheap these days... That first ART system I got back in 1992-ish was something like $800, and today, a small $120 floor pedal is just about as good as that whole system!

10. xdanxx

xdanxx

Mar 12, 2008
    I use a Zoom Guitar multi effects pedal and it sounds good. Obviously there are multiple sounds/effects that aren't going to work, but there are alot of usable sounds. Atleast for playing around with. For $20 you can always flip it and break even if you dont care for it.