1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will Carvin BX600 have enough juice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panaran, Mar 20, 2009.

1. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    I bought a BX600 to power my Avatar 410Neo. I ordered it off ebay brand new through Carvin a couple of days ago. The next day I found a good deal on an Avatar 212 Neo so i picked that up to.

I bought the BX600 thinking it was only going to be for the 410. Im wondering if you guys think it will power both cabs? They are both 4 ohms, so i will be running the amp @ 2ohms which is 600Watts.

I'm not sure this is going to be enough, but i have a 10 day trial period where i can test it out and return it if i want. Just wanted to see what you guys think. Both should be here early next week.

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    should work fine

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    There should not be an issue here. 600 watts into two cabs will be plenty loud for most situations. Don't boost the lows crazily and keep your mids in the tone - life should be good!

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, but make sure you fire the whole rig up and go LOUD within 10 days -- it would suck to sort out you aren't happy months down the road...

5. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    Oh..trust me it definitely wont take 10 days :bassist:

Thanks for the input guys. I was just concered about it because the 410 is rated @ 1000watts and the 212 is 600+ as well (not exactly sure)

but my backup Backline600 powers the 410 with more than enough so i think i should be alright, just wanted to hear what you guys thought. thanks

6. I have the BX600 too, (at least until It gets bought) I bought it as a combo with the Neo 15 cabinet, the 15 inch speaker that came from Carvin is 4ohm and I also run an Avatar Neo 212 4ohm cabinet, the BX600 easily powers both cabinets. The specs are: 225watts at 8 ohm,400 watts at 4 ohm and 600 watts at 2 ohm. This head is designed to safely run at 2 ohms giving you 600 watts to power even the biggest cabs out there.

7. Yes, it will be loud enough. Just played an outdoor gig yesterday with a BX600 with 2 Carvin 210's. One BRX10.2 and one BR210. Had Drive and Master Vol at 3. We did have PA support though. But played a practice the other day with just the BRX10.2 cab. Had Drive at 3 and Master at 3. It worked. Used to have an Aguilar AG500 and Markbass LM11. Master and pre were always at 5 on both amps. I just play small clubs etc. Hope this helps.

8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    That should work fine. If you had a single 8 ohm cabinet it probably wouldn't be a good choice but with one or two 4 ohm cabs it should be plenty loud.

9. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    It will work. But if you want more power, I think the BX1200 is only another $100.

10. Good point, spend the extra $100. You will covered. :hyper:

11. Carvin's bass amp heads are notoriously loud, you should have no problem whatsoever.:smug:

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Just because your power ratings for the cabs far exceeds the power of your amp, doesn't mean you need a more powerful amp. In fact, it's pretty irrelevant. What matters is 1) the sensitivity of the cabs, and 2) your absolute volume requirements for the gigs you play.

The only potential issue with running a couple of full-size cabs with this amount of power would be limited headroom. But that is quite dependent upon how hard you have to run the amp in order to generate the SPL you need. Because even if each cab gets proportionally less power than one would receive if you used only one, the increased total speaker cone area of using two cabs generally would more than compensate for this factor in available volume - thereby making hard driving of the amp less necessary, or completely unnecessary anyway.

MM

13. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah I think it will be enough power. My little Backline600 powers the 410 pretty well at less than half volume. I dont think the Avatars need very much power relative to other 410s. At least it seems that way to me. But it should all be there this weeks so well see how it sounds.

14. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    +1, I've been using only one channel of my BX1200 (thus making it a BX600) for gigs and @ 400 watts into a single 410 it's still brutally loud, even with big lows dialed in. Just used this config for a midsized gig on a big stage and had plenty of power to spare.

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

I've also heard they are notorious for getting very hot. That would cause me to think twice about them.

16. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Hmm, never heard/experienced that. I currently use Carvin gear for our PA also and while their amps run a bit warm, I'd not consider them 'hot' when compared to the other brands I've used.