1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

will GLUE WORK? O_o

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by April Ethereal, Sep 27, 2010.

1. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    ok, I took my new cab I purchased used from guitar center [ GK 4x10 blx II ] to my local music shop for some advice... Well it wasnt so good lol The rattling sound was definitely the problem, not a coil, but perhaps a tear? Well he tells me either to purchase a new speaker/speakers or use what he called "the poor mans method" which consists of finding the rip or tear and using simple elmers glue to seal the part? :/ I only have about 12 days before my guitar center 30 day warranty runs out and guitar center is 1hr & 30 min away [i dont drive] I dont have any money to pay for the amp to be shipped back so what should I do? :/

Thanks, Jacob

2. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    Really need help with this so I dont make a stupid decision, Ill greatly appreciate any advice or input.

3. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    A TBer local to me bought the exact same cab used, and all of the speakers were in sad shape. New ones were $80 from G-K, vs. $50-60 for a recone.

That said, yes, you can repair tears with thin paper and glue. It's better than nothing. But the chances of the other drivers tearing from fatigue or the voice coils giving up are high, imo.

I'm not sure what you paid for it but if it's a lot, you might be better off cutting your losses and returning it, and perhaps getting one of the many fine used cabs here on TB (knock on wood...)

4. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    hmmm.. I paid a pretty reasonable price,[ shipping was terrible but return wouldnt get that back ] and its really only one speaker Im hearing the rattling from. So I may consider gradually saving for the GK speaker. I like the tb amp suggestion but this was a birthday gift so Im out of cash atm. lol But thank you very much for the suggestions and info. :]

5. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    If it is still within warranty I would find anyway possible to exchange it.

Things shouldn't go wrong so soon.

6. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    if you would of said it arrived like that then yes they do return shipping costs, it was a vendor error. no way i would pay for something from a store and settle for a defect

7. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    Really? Because it really did arrive like that, I got it sometime after sep 10, but until this past thursday I was waiting for the head, So guitar center does pay for return shipping?

8. make the drive and make the warranty claim,but tell the guy you have commitments and need an amp......maybe he'll let you make the the temporary repair until a replacement driver comes in,give you a loaner, or maybe tell you to pound sand......but if you don't do anything he's off the hook....

9. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Their 30/30 policy applies to used items as well. This is what you do:

1. Pack that sucker up in exactly the packaging sent to you
    2. Find a parent/friend/random person (ok...maybe not a random person) to give you a ride to GC
    3. Find a manager, show your receipt, and say "This came to me a few days ago with a tear. I played it at low volume and it exhibited sound quality consistent with a torn speaker. Please exchange the item or give me my money."
    4. Don't back down! YOU have a lot more to lose proportionally to the GC. Plus, you are in the right, as they shouldn't be selling damaged merchandise, and, if they do, you can stand behind their own imposed policy.

10. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    +1000 to Jim and CFclef. The best way to get an issue like this resolved is to show up in person at their store with the cab and talk to a manager. Don't leave until you get your money back or some other offer of a solution.

Second best is to call the store and ask to talk to the general manager.

11. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    if you bought it online they would have to cover the original shipping and the return charge for damaged items. now the catch is you have to return it to where you bought it. if you return to the store the store doesnt have to credit shipping.

12. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    hmmm, ok, how exactly should I go about doing this? I bought it used online from a guitar center in Texas, the shipping was 60$, should I speak to a manager there?

13. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    give the 800 a call you bought it from guitarcenter.com correct? call Toll Free: (866) 498-7882