1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will i need to change my electronics?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bobbyjim13, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Bobbyjim13

Bobbyjim13

Jun 12, 2012
    I have been asking about and cant get a straight answer. Im looking to replace the stock pickups on a Warwick Corvette $$ 4 string with a set of emg mmtw's. Can i do this without changing the electronics, or will i need a whole new setup as well? Any advice would b great!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    While I couldn't imagine making that swap myself, I'd say you'll need new electronics since EMG's are active pickups.

Personally? I'd go with SGD Neo's. All the punch and clarity of EMG's without the sterile sound. And unlike EMG, they work great with effects and can be wired for series/parallel/or single coil. They should also work with your stock electronics since they are passive. Just a thought :)

3. Bobbyjim13

Bobbyjim13

Jun 12, 2012
    Thanks for the advice, i'll def check them out.

A friend suggested i try a set of seymour duncan smb4d's. Wud they work without modification? & are they any good?

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I think the thing to ask is...what don't you like about your stock pickups?

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I did the EMG active pickup thing once. You have to change it all because the active pickups take much lower resistance pots. I actually loved the EMG EQ system and the pickups were amazingly quiet, but I hated the tone and eventually got rid of the bass.