Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

will one person please tell me....

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ....that their talkbass email notifications are now coming from kontrabass@sbcglobal.net, and not talkbass anymore. since about 2 days ago that's where all my talkbass mail has been coming from. i searched this site (perhaps not well enough) but haven't seen any notification of a change, and i'm wondering what's going on. thank you.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Moved to Forum Questions.

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    ok. so now i'm beginning to get paranoid. NOBODY can tell me that their mail is ALSO now coming from this new address??? i've already asked paul and gotten no response, i get no response here, i did a search on the address above and nothing came up, and i checked the update on the main page - nothing mentioned.

my concern is coming from the fact that someone has tried several times to hack into my account here - and it just struck me as strange to suddenly start getting notifications from kontrabass as opposed to admin@talkbass.

PLEASE tell me if i'm the only one who's experiencing this change - and if you have any other ideas why this might be - let me know that too. thank you.

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Maybe putting your homepage url in your sig isn't such a good idea...but that's just a guess.

5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    perhaps i'll rephrase my question.

is anyone else getting their email notifactions from the above mentioned address, and NOT talkbass - or is something fishy going on with my internet/talkbass experience??????

if you're getting your emails from admin@talkbass.com, NOT the kontrabass address i mentioned, PLEASE tell me so i can take measures to figure out what's going on here. thank you again.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't worry, Joe - I don't have any new post notifications handy, but the "report a post" messages are coming from kontrabass@... and there's no way I could think they're hacked.

7. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    All mine are coming from the kontrabass at sbcglobal.net. I see nothing wrong with any of the header info all tracks back to where it says it comes from.

tk

8. Notices started coming to me from kontrabass@sbcglobal on the 10th. So far, I haven't noticed any problems.

9. Same here Joe. If you look at the announcements, Paul said all the email subscription notices going out everyday was taking it's toll on the server, he probably just found another place to send them, saving the Talkbass server lot of hassle. I'd say that's what happened, anyway.

10. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Sorry for the alarm - everything @talkbass.com was down due to some remnant server config bugs (post server rebuild) so I routed mail through my yahoo backup for a bit. Will be changing it back.

11. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    thanks.

12. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

My line of thinking was that somebody picked up your url here, and then got your email from your page and messed around with you. I agree it was pretty improbable.