1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will this overheat?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blade3dge, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    Sup talkbass

I've spoken to a lot of people about my SVT overheating in it's rack and even contacted the manufacturer themselves. The general consensus is that it should be perfectly fine so this isn't a concern for me, what I concerned about however is the need for a rack space above it, originally there should have been two spaces between the SVT and the tuner but to prevent it from bending under its own weight the SVT is resting on a piece of foam that takes up two spaces (on the subject of which do you think the foam will have issues with the heat?). Do you think that by sight there will be any issues with this setup?

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...9146732568_542027567_8984443_1045543515_n.jpg

Another question is I'll be running a little wireless with it but I can't for the life of me figure out which input on the back of the SVT counts as a "standard" input. I mean obviously I can't plug a wireless in as part of the effects loop so which input on the back has the same place in the signal chain as the front input.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Wish I could tell ya, but I'm really not sure.

*shameless plug* But in other news, if you ever decide to sell that Pro2 of feel like trading for a Pro7 you should let me know :D

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The manual doesn't mention a rear input jack. It does however say the "tuner out" is a direct out from the instrument. You might be able to plug in there. Unless of course you want to connect your tuner there.:p. You could just plug the wireless into the tuner and then out from the tuner into the amp. You'd be patched through the tuner all the time then.

4. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    Yeah I read the manual and noticed that as well, hence my confusion. But the concept that with all those plugs on the back not one of them comes into the signal chain at the same place as the front input seems farfetched. And yeah I was definitely considering going straight into the tuner but since the tuners output is on the back it would be nice to keep everything behind the amp rather than running through to the front.

5. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    Power amp in?

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That would bypass all the eq, preamp, everything. I bet the tuner out is wired straight to the input jack as that's the only thing that stays on when you hit mute. I'd try plugging my bass in the tuner out and see if the gain and eq knobs still work with it. If they do, you're good to go that way.

7. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    Makes sense I guess, I'll give it a shot tonight but given that it's an output do you really think it would even work as an input?

8. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Doesn't foam trap heat?

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'm thinking it's just labeled tuner "out" so it makes a little more sense to the average user. If the entire amp mutes but that stays active, it almost has to be wired to the input. Especially considering a tuner would use a straight instrument signal, not one that's already been boosted, eq'd, etc. If that's the case, you could go in there as well. The signal would just go the other way down the same wire. It wouldn't damage anything to try it. It'll just either work or it won't.

As to your heat thing. If the foam is under the amp, that would be ok. Heat rises. I'd look into putting a small little clip on fan in the back of the rack to help push the heat off the top of the amp to allow more heat to rise and escape. Not only be better for the amp but good to keep from cooking whatever components you have above it.

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    A tuner out is usually just that: an output and most likely buffered from the input to prevent loading.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I've seen a few that are just wired straight up, these may be user add-on's? I guess if he can't get signal going in there, could just add a jack on the back, wired straight to the front one.