1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will this rig function properly?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cagipple, Oct 6, 2013.

1. cagipple

cagipple

Oct 6, 2013
    I'm looking to buy a new rig and here is what I have decided on:

Ampeg SVT-3PRO (450 watts at 4 ohms)
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ampeg-SVT-3PRO-Series-Head-100140363-i1145693.gc

Carvin 2x10 (8 ohms / 400 watts)
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BR210-8C

Carvin 4x10 (8 ohms / 800 watts)
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BR410-8C

I want to make sure this rig will function like a well-oiled machine. I'm not an expert in the subject and there's a few things I'm worried about:

- the two cabs combined wattage is 1200 watts. Will a 450 watt amp be too little power? or too much power?

- two 8 ohm cabs equals 4 ohm impedance so it should work with this amp, correct?

2. This combo will certainly function.

You're not getting everything you could from the cabs, but I guess it's just room for future upgrades.

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    It will work, and you can't underpower speakers. you may want to reconsider matching a 2x10 with a 4x10. they will both get the same amount of power, thus pushing each driver in the 2x10 with more than each driver in the 4x10. you won't hurt anything you listed, and it will be loud, but the better option would be two of either cab, not one of each.

my opinion. if the goal is one rig, i'll stick to what i said. if you want two rigs, it isn't too bad of an idea, the amp and 2x10 for smaller stuff, the amp and 4x10 for bigger stuff, but running only one or the other gives you about 250 watts, so consider that.

4. Cirk

Cirk

Jan 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The 2x10 will get the same amount of power as the 4x10, it's not the same as a 6x10 cab. You're better off getting 2 matching 4x10's or a good 6x10.

5. Cirk

Cirk

Jan 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Basscooker, you beat me to it, and said it much more clearly. Thank you.

6. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    ^ but I failed to mention a single 4 ohm 6x10.

7. True, but the individual speakers in the 210 will get twice the power of those in the 410. Not the end of the world, but something to be aware of. Looks like you might already get this, if so sorry for being redundant.

8. cagipple

cagipple

Oct 6, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. Some good info! I think I will get two 4x10s because I definitely want the most power out my setup.

9. You can only push the same as you could two 2x10. There is a slight advantage in sensitivity to 2x10 + 4x10 but minimal. That comes at great cost to the dispersion compared with two 2x10 vertical stack.

Imho 2 4x10 is a stadium rig, not necessary indoors unless you're playing sillybuggers loud.

10. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    And what's wrong with sillybuggers loud!!! What! What! Speak up! I can't hear you! That's right chump, walk away....................

11. I could tell you but it would be falling on deaf ears.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Hmmm...IF the amp can handle 2 ohm loads and IF the drivers in both cabinets are identically spec'd and housed, and IF the 210 is 8 ohms and the 410 is 4 ohms, THEN you will have a killer 610 410 210 rig, very versatile, and easier to transport and upgrade than a 610. :meh:

13. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    cagipple,
    I'd like to vote like downunderwonder did for a pair of 2x10's. Sure, having two 4x10 cabs would give you loads of volume and all, but those also cost 160 bucks more, each. what if you were to use that 320 extra bucks on a more powerful head? speaking of which, do a bit of a search here on the forum, I think the PF series is proving to have a bit of a reliability issue. (I'm not an Ampeg guy, so I don't pay too much attention to the details).

You'd still have speakers up higher, so hearing yourself would be easy even at lower volume, and you'd still be running a 4 ohm setup, with two cabs capable of handling a good amount of power each.

14. cagipple

cagipple

Oct 6, 2013
  15. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
  16. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
  17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Get a 2 ohm capable head and a 4 ohm 410. Pick one made by a firm that also offers an 8 ohm 210 with the same drivers as the 210. This is commonly the case. You can then combine the two cabs for 610 (2.67 ohms), or use either cab alone.

Popcorn is fattening, IMHO.

18. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    i've got a GK 115 II combo amp & a 410 MBP Powered cab at 500 watts & the 115 is 200?