Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Work for Lessons!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mike88T, May 7, 2004.

1. Ok this sounds so lame but I need lessons and since I am temporarily out of work I can’t justify spending money on them until I get a job again. The problem is my three-piece cover band has somehow managed to get a gig, much to my surprise they are paying us, go figure, which may lead to more gigs. In an effort to improve I feel I need to take some lessons, I have 0 theory knowledge, not even sure what that means and more or less play by ear. I do know what notes are on which string and how to find them, working on not having to think about that, but that’s about all I know.
    Here is the deal; I can do Plumbing, light construction and computer repair, I also have a working knowledge of car mechanics, if it’s a Nissan 6 cylinder I know quite a bit, if it’s an 84-89 Nissan 300ZX I can take it apart and rebuild it. I am willing to trade any combination of these for bass lessons. I live in Miami, Florida and am willing to drive anywhere in Dade or Broward (ok Broward is a bit far for any large project, would prefer Dade) and am fairly flexible in hours.
    I know that one lesson at a time without follow up is probably not a good idea but it is better then nothing.
    Email or PM me mfontebo@bellsouth.net
    Thanks for any help

Ok I am Bumping this and adding some stuff since I seem to have a lot of Views on the thread but no PMs or offers.

I think people are intimidated by the word "lessons". I realy don't know diddly about playing so if your even semicompetent at bass and need some advice or simple repairs in any of the fields I mentioned shoot me a PM or email and we can work something out. I only know one bass player in town who really knows anything and he is very hard to hook up with so just sitting around and noodeling is helpful. Plus meeting other bass players is always fun.

2. This isn't stupid! I've bartered for lessons before, and it's worked out nicely.

3. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    Definitely not stupid! This has all the makings of a movie script...

Young man has an intense desire/passion for his instrument....
    Fade into the young lad sweating in the front yard, with his sleaves rolled up, pushing a lawn mower. Cut to the side of the house with a sweatband around his forehead painting("uuuuuuuuup, doooowwwwwn")
    Blackout and fade into a slow pan into the front window of the living room where teacher/student are toiling away, student hunched over his pride and joy whilst a sweating cup of lemonade sits on a wooden end table at the end of one of the couches....

(Yeah, I left out the car waxing, nail hammering, and deck staining{or w/ever it was})

K, I'm done.

[edit] sorry, it's friday, and I'm about to go home and pass out

4. "Young man" is 41 years old and that Lemonade better have Vodka in it .

But seriosly folks , where are all those teachers with broken toilets?!

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I will teach for barters, but I'm in SF.

And by the way, click the link in my sig Mike.

6. It looks very informative; wish I could read Chinese haha.

Seriously though I spent an hour reading it over before my head started to hurt, aside from a couple of spelling errors that made it slightly confusing I just don't think I have enough music background to get it without somebody in front of me to show what it means. I get the Chromatic scale, which is easy, but when it gets down to intervals and chords I think I just need to have a visual/audible example to have it make sense. I say this because a friend of my guitarist showed me a pentatonic scale one day during a jam; he is very good and knows theory and technique up the ying yang but unfortunately lives too far away and is way to busy to give lessons. Well anyhow after he showed me the scale I was able to work up runs that even impressed my Guitarist by the next practice.
    I think once I get the terms fixed in my head it will come a lot easier and will sure make reading stuff on this site make sense.

PS: the spelling mistake in one instance changes the whole meaning of the sentence I think, or maybe I am reading it wrong. Here is the sentence I mean.

Pretty sure that the two “No” you have in that sentence should be “NOW” right?

We have done the t-t-s part of the formula to get G - A - Bb. No we have to
    move another whole tone from Bb to what? C. No another whole tone to D, another
    whole tone to E, and a semi-tone, which gets you back to the octave, F. Here's
    our scale:

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, I gotta edit that. I'll talk to Paul.

8. Forgot that an edit doesn't bump

Check out the NEW AMAZING OFFER!!

Does your toilet run on? Does the kitchen sink clog every time you wash dishes? Is your car running poorly? Does your computer crash for no apparent reason?
    Well stop fretting just put all that bass knowledge that you have just sitting around to some use and have these annoying issues fixed.
    Call now operators are waiting.

9. Weeeeeeell, i happen to live just north of Ft. Lauderdale :) I'm nothing special but I have taught lessons for beginners in the past (ie learning the notes on the strings, basic theory etc)

i'm also only 17 and you seem to be 30+ :smug:

10. I sent you a PM about my bands practice routine.

11. Bump

Hello, anybody out there?

I know your out there , I can hear you muting.

12. bump

Please help!

I have fallen into a pentatonic scale and I can't get out! :D

13. bump

14. Bump.

Still looking for somebody to give me some pointers.

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay Mikey,

Ask away. Give us some specific questions, some issues that have been troubling you lately.

16. Should have probably used the word lessons instead of pointers. I need somebody to ask questions to in person while I have my Bass in hand, because I just don't know enough terminology to get my question across.

I keep getting stuck when I read the stuff on here when I have to go look up the definition of terms, and then I forget what my original question was.

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd love to my friend but I'm in SF. Gard is in Orlando, and he might know somebody. Cassanova is in Tampa, if I recall correctly, and he might have some ideas. I just don't know the Miami area at all.

18. Yeah I know. Kind of shocked that over 300 or so people have read this post and I haven’t had a single offer to trade for lessons. I guess that just how it goes, I bet as soon as I get a job again and have the money to pay for lessons I'll get half a dozen people PM for trade haha.