1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wilton felder live rig

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ct1811, May 3, 2021 at 5:16 PM.

1. Ct1811

Ct1811

Dec 14, 2016
    Looking to tap into the vast collective knowledge here, although I realize this is quite the shot in the dark.

For me, wilton felder's tone on both jimmy smith's Root Down, and Grant Green's Live at the Lighthouse is absolutely killer. Has to be some of my favorite performances for bass period. All things considered, I realize much of his tone on these albums is technique. And I believe (I know you folks will correct me if I'm wrong) he played a '68 tele bass on these recordings. But for the life of me I haven't been able to find an article, post or picture to clear up what he was using for amplification for specifically these two albums.

I understand the amp isn't EVERYTHING when it comes to the final cut, but this is a question that's been in my head for quite some time now. Any help to set me straight would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lots of folks will say the ubiquitous Ampeg B15 but since these were both West Coast sessions I suggest there were two bass amps more commonly used back then either a Versatone or a Polytone. Both were small, powerful and loud amplifiers that were easy to transport and record and were generally trouble free.

Both amps still have their fans and the Versatone Pan-O-Flex amps are highly collectable and very valuable due to several high profile players using them.

3. Ct1811

Ct1811

Dec 14, 2016
    Interesting! Never heard of either of those companies. Gonna have to do some digging on them. If anyone else has any ideas, don't be bashful.

4. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    On the cover and on the inside of the cover of Root Down you can clearly see a Sunn rig.
    AVER_93591__114234__03222016092425-6639.jpg

kobass, Joshua and lowdownthump like this.
  5. Ct1811

Ct1811

Dec 14, 2016
    Totally see it now that you say that, to the left of mr smiths head. I'm not familiar with sunn, but it looks like some type of a 200s?

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021