Window Shopping - SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spaz, Oct 28, 2003.

1. spaz

May 24, 2001
    Hampton, VA - USA
    I'm in the market for a new head. I had been thinking about getting an Eden WT-550 since I've been happy with my Eden CXC (300watts at 4ohms), but started looking at the GK 1001rbII. I like 'em both and figured I would go w/ the GK since its about $250 less. Today I stumbled across a couple year old SWR 750 while on my lunch break for $700. Its in good shape. It comes w/ a 30 day warranty.

I play a stingray 5, and liked both heads. I'll be using it with an EB 212 cab. I'm thinking that the SWR is probably the best buy, but do any of you see an advantage in the GK? I'm playing in a fairly loud rock band, and clean power is what I'm after. I never have PA support for the bass. I'm not much of a knob twidler and typically find a tone and just leave it there. Any input?
  2. the SWR has slightly more power, but the GK will give you the option to bi-amp. whether bi-amping is something that you'll actually use...its up to you.
  3. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Great amp! Clean fat tone. Redhead EQ. with big watts. See if it has a fan early ones didn't. Remember SWRs are designed to get hot to the touch to wick heat away from vitals. My recommendation is use little EQ. and let your fingers do the EQ with right hand technique and your basses EQ.
  4. Spaz, I have owned both and I myself really like the GK for live work. Clean power for sure but I do prefer the SWR in the studio, just my ears.

Studio doesn't require a lot of power, live work does!

5. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Its all about what sounds good to your ears.

I was seriously considering a 750 a few years back, and i reeeally wanted to like it, but i just couldnt.

I found that it lacked the low-mids that suit my style of playing. It was just too tinny for my likings.

If you love clarity over punch, i would recommend the SWR. But if you want that 'in your face' bottom end growl, i'd go for the GK.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like SWR, too. But I like Eden better. So should you.
  7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I own a SWR 350, the 750's little bro, and the longer I have it the more I want something with more flexibility and warmer tone. I'd go for the 550 probably. gotta love the 3 band semi parametric! don't know about GK.
  8. spaz

May 24, 2001
    Hampton, VA - USA
    I will probably be using any amp I get at 8ohms 80% of the time. I do have two 2x12 cabinets which I use together occassionally. The eden I have now is only 225 watts at 8, which makes me a little worried that the WT 550 with 300 watts at 8ohms wouldn't make enough of a difference to spend the money.

Whichever I get it will mainly be for live settings. I'm also going to keep the eden that I already have.
  9. hi there----i have a swr 750x (new version or the 750) it is very loud ! i play in several diff bands from a three piece with guitarist using a marshall full stack to a five piece with three wacko guitar players all with marshalls and i cut thru quite well...all the bands play classic rock. i usually use an ampeg 15 svt cab along with a mesa 2 x 10 on top (bothe 8 ohmn) sometimes i will use two ampeg 15's stacked to get more bottom if needed (outside or large rooms with lots of isolating acoustics) i see many many posts about swr amps not having much bottom, this is simple not true !! your speakers are what produces the sound along with your pickups, bass and how you play, the amp does the rest, ie; amplifies your signal, and i must say i am very satisfied with swr !! very clean, punchy with boosted mids and plenty of bottom...i've never had to run the amp higher than 3....sorry, i have no expierience with gk...
  10. spaz

May 24, 2001
    Hampton, VA - USA
    mgamache65- Thanks for your reply. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I decided to go with the SWR and picked it up today. I'll be using it with the band this weekend.