1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wingless / low mass bridges: your experiences?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by etorgerson, Nov 17, 2017.

1. My understanding is that by cutting the wings off and proper shaping, you can get more amplitude to the table and get a brighter, louder sound, something I might be interested in.
    What experiences do any tb’ers have with this change on a double bass?

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Search this forum for "wingless".

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  4. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    I often find TB stuff that I`m searching better straight from google than the TB search. I have one again on my bass, and I`m not sure right now if it`s that or the fact that I dropped extra stuff like bow quiver at the same time I switched to my wingless bridge, but all of that makes a small difference to the overall resonance and how lowest string starts under the bow. I quess masters like Quarrington and Feeney doesn`t use it for no reason, Quarrington tunes in fifths and Feeney uses gut strings exclusively. Anyhow, in my case, it might or might not make life a little easier and the bass a little more resonant when talking about acoustic response. At least it looks very cool :)

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Chris Fitzgerald likes this.