1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WINsd question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coryt, Jan 4, 2012.

1. coryt

coryt Supporting Member

May 16, 2009
    I have a cabinet I want to put new speakers in. I've tried using WINsd to pick appropriate drivers, but it seems like a lot of trial and error, and after plunking in about 20 sets of specs, I haven't come up with a good fit. I know some of the WINsd programs have some speaker parameters built in, so you can just select the speaker type without manually plugging them in.

But, is there a WINsd program out there that lets you plug in your cab dimensions and configuration (it doesn't have a horn) and then tells you what the best choice for driver would be, or at least tell you which speakers would at least function properly in the cab?

I'm not looking for hi-fi sound, I just don't want to spend money on drivers that don't work properly or worse blow up on me because they don't match the cab.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No. Box programs are intended for designing a cab around a driver, not the other way around. Not that you can't do so, you can, but you have to let the program first come up with the default cab specs and then alter the result to those of the cab you already have. It's actually not that difficult a process once you get used to it, but not something a newbie will intuitively pick right up on.

3. coryt

coryt Supporting Member

May 16, 2009
    Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure I completely understand. Are you saying I start with a certain drivers specs, let WinISD calculate the cab dimensions, then alter those dimensions to see how it will affect the performance of the drivers? Then if they aren't good, start over with another driver?

4. Yes. That's what I had to do when I recently tried to find a driver for my SWR Baby Blue 110 combo. I had to keep entering all the data I could find for any driver I thought would work. Then adjust the box volume, and port dimensions to match that of my combo to get the profile curves. It was a little time consuming and cumbersome but it was well worth the time as the speaker it led me to was rather expensive but performed great. I wouldn't have just put out the expense for that driver just on whim. WinISD gave me the confidence to buy it and I've never been happier with that combo.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/upgrading-my-swr-baby-baby-blue-ii-110-combo-long-w-pics-839261/

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes, but save each as a project file. You can them open them later and overlay the results. Also note that generally speaking the most important chart will be Maximum SPL, which simultaneously accounts for response, power and displacement.