1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Winter Build Off 2019 - EB Bass VI for gNat

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 2groggy, Dec 22, 2018.

1. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Natalie plays a cheap knock off strat with a Bass VI conversion neck, so she and I are going to build her something with a more interesting shape but still a bass VI.
    • Tobias shape
    • Walnut
    • reclaimed Bass VI conversion neck from the guit in my profile picture... neck originally purchased from a guy on ebay (PM me if you want an introduction)
    • Electronics currently hidden under some tree
    Mashup POW for gNat.jpg

2. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    The template was drawn and cut based on a picture sent bu @ctmullins (thanks again).

Now I am looking for advice on how best to cut and join the bodies for this and my other build. Both bodies are about 1.5 inches wider than the plank, so I can't just make single slab bodies. I see three options:

Option 1 - join small pieces only at the widest spots

Option 2 - cut half bodies and put the joins along the centre lines (won't be book matched)

Option 3 - Re-saw the walnut to 1/4 thick bookmatched sheets and make the bodies' cores out of something cheap but stable. no picture.

I'm open to any options except burning the walnut or sending it to someone who can promise it a better home.

3. 1 vote for option two

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Agree, option 2 would be my choice. But I’ve done option 1 successfully as well. If the grain matches it can be nearly invisible.

5. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Another vote for option 2 are these going to have pickguards? If so option one but offset so the pickguard is covering most of it could work well too.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  6. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Option 2.

Alternatively, option 4: split the plank lengthwise, add width in the center with contrasting wood like maple.

7. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the advice, all. @Jon Clegg , I'm liking the sounds of option 4.

8. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I may have done something similar once :whistle:
    GEDC1432.JPG
    I'll caution you though, watch the weight: this beast (my first build) weighs about 12 lbs.

9. Option 3 if you have mad resawing skilz. Otherwise, option 2.

10. No fair! He didn't say we could add more options!

ronaldpdbrandt likes this.
  11. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Thinking outside the box ;)

ronaldpdbrandt likes this.
  12. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually, I did post that I am open to other options. :cool:

gNat chose @Jon Clegg 's option 4. I just got started on planing down the three pieces for the body before Mrs. Groggy assigned me a task which will burn the entire weekend. I'll have to catch up next week.

The three pieces are seeming heavy, so I may try to chamber them in between the neck pocket and bridge before I glue them up.

13. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Hey glad I could help!

14. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    So here is what needs to be chambered. I don't have any way to resaw it, so I'm planing to drill in from the sides of the joints before gluing. I'll avoid the neck pocket and bridge. Better ideas are always appreciated.

Here's a draft layout of the string-through bridge, black soap-bars and control panel fashioned from a prized Stranglers 45 (JJ is my favourite bassist and gNat will be indoctrinated accordingly). The track is Strange Little Girl and that seems to suit her.

15. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Drilling in weight relief holes from the inside edge works just fine - my only recommendation (from experience :D) is to mark them out on the top and back so you know exactly where they go inside. Plus, use a Forstner bit, cleaner holes and less wandering... :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    ReasonablyHappy and 2groggy like this.
  16. 5tring

5tring

Sep 16, 2018
    UK
    That’s such a cool idea.

Are you going to machine a recess so that the 45 sits flush? Or will it sit proud?

ReasonablyHappy likes this.
  17. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    I've used 45s before. The one in my avatar is "Secret Agent Man" by Johnny Rivers. They are very brittle, so sometimes I fibreglass the underside before cutting the necessary holes.

I had planned to cut out a rectangle around the bridge and leave the control plate proud. Now that you ask, the thought occurs that the 45 could be recessed and mounted permanently, with back access to the control cavity.

18. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    The body got chambered and glued up last night. I'll take pictures when I get a moment.

19. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    SLivinghouse, wraub, Jisch and 5 others like this.
  20. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021