Winter Build Off 2022 - Explorer Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by instrumentalist, Dec 21, 2021.

1. A9X

A9X Inactive

Dec 27, 2003
    I have to be very careful about that. I can't afford to be arrested again naked in the street.

2. Aha! Now it's 1-1/8"x2-1/2".

The Protrusion Thickens... (bad pun)

I'd rather have the neck dead straight. Or is there a reason for putting it at an angle?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  3. A9X

A9X Inactive

Dec 27, 2003
    Tune-o-matic style bridge?

Reedt2000 likes this.
  4. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Neck angle and deck height - the height of the fretboard above the body - are determined by the height and adjustment range of the bridge saddles. You need the neck to set at and angle and height that allow for proper action based on how tall the bridge is. Angle and deck height are interactive, if you need X height at the bridge, you can get there with angle and/or height. Conventionally, Fender basses are built with a 3/8" height and zero angle. That works fine for Fender style bridges. Some other brands use a smaller height and a slight angle to get to the same Fender bridge requirement. Some other brands use a taller bridge and even more angle to work things out.

It's really up to you to decide how to proceed. The simplest thing is to copy whatever bass your bridge would normally go on. Or if you don't want to do that or don't know, deteremine the min and max height adjustment for the bridge, and draw it all out on paper as a side view of the body. Make a line for the top surface of the body. Mark the bridge position and the saddle adjustment range. Then you can draw in different deck heights and neck angles to see if a line projected out from your fretboard puts you in range of the bridge or not.

When it comes to neck angles, a very little angle goes a very long way. Half a degree at the neck pocket can translate to nearly 1/8" difference at the bridge.

5. Actually yes, proportionally to the length of your screen name.

I'm instrumentalist for a reason. :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    Mickey666, BishopJP and Reedt2000 like this.
  6. Thanks @dwizum for the explanation. It makes complete sense to me.

I keep learning tons of stuff here.

dwizum and Reedt2000 like this.
  7. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Desert, Colorado
    My only preference for the bridge against the edge of the body is that “whatever so slight weight balance” change

instrumentalist and Mickey666 like this.
  8. There's that, too.

This bass will be neckdivey no matter what. It comes with the shape. FWIW I have a slim headstock and light tuners. Doesn't count for much, does it?
    I'm not worried though, I always have a firm grip on my neck.

Bent77 likes this.
  9. A9X

A9X Inactive

Dec 27, 2003
    Where are you putting the strap pins? When I had the Epi Korina Explorer it was a bit of a submarine but I reckon if I'd moved the pins to alternative locations I could have made it better. I didn't because it was absolutely perfect and I knew I didn't love it enough to keep it and drill holes. As yours is custom, that may not matter a damn.

My two location suggestions based upon 15yo memories post head trauma, were that when I tried with duct tape I came up with these. First was in the neck plate area (I know it was set neck) and on the back top of the body in a direct vertical line from the rear of the bridge. A flushmount straplock would work well here, and a conventional on the other end. This angled it up about 45* which is my preferred and the bridge end straplock I didn't think would have bothered me, but I'm used to a Steinberger pivotplate/Boomerang. Takes some duct tape and time to try.

I've wondered about doing a V bass later and they'd need to be in about the same places, or so my marsupial brain says.

instrumentalist likes this.
  10. Videojunkie

Videojunkie

Jan 19, 2021
    Omaha, NE USA
    If it were me, I'd snap a line between the points on the neck end of the body and put the end fret there. Almost between the two pictures.

11. With both strap pins on the back, on or near the center line, wouldn't that bass be prone to tilt forward? I would like to avoid such a tilt, if possible.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    deff likes this.
  12. I'm not sure what points you mean. Do you mean the points where the curved edge gives way to a straight edge?

Anyway I will reshape that part of the body, to a more conventional Explorer shape. Not because it's conventional, but because I feel it'll improve the overall shape.

Sort of like this:
    IMG_20211230_115354.jpg

Beej likes this.
  13. Videojunkie

Videojunkie

Jan 19, 2021
    Omaha, NE USA
    Excuse the crappy phone sketch, but a straight edge along that blue line should get you close.
    Typically you should just reach over the edge of the body to get to those top frets.

Attached Files:

14. Aha! So the point here is keeping the top frets within reach. Now I see where you're coming from.
    I'll keep it in mind, but let me say that I'm not hugely concerned about those top frets. I rarely use them. (I'm fond of saying that a bass needs four frets, because the next note can be played on the next string.) :D

By the way, doesn't Nebraska have Mountain Time? By my reckoning it was 4:12 AM there, when you posted that.

15. A9X

A9X Inactive

Dec 27, 2003
    Try before you drill. It only costs a small amount of time, some duct tape and do it standing over something soft like the couch in case it falls.

16. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Could be sleep posting.
    I do it all the time.

17. Videojunkie

Videojunkie

Jan 19, 2021
    Omaha, NE USA
    I have a dog, who has needs in the middle of the night....

At least he's cute.
    20211128_143018.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    instrumentalist and RichterScale like this.
  18. I now want to see an instrument with shoelaces for edge binding.

19. Videojunkie

Videojunkie

Jan 19, 2021
    Omaha, NE USA
    With enough epoxy, all things are possible!

20. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    That's a very @Bruce Johnson thing to say. :D

Videojunkie likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022