Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Winter's custom basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by full_bleed, Aug 3, 2005.

1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Does anyone know anything about this bulder? Have you had a custom bass built by him? Does he make a solid indtrument. Would you suggest someone else that's within the same price range? here's the siteWinter's Custom Basses

2. they look interesting...most of his designs remind me of carl thompson basses

3. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Great guy, a rather popular user at the MX forums. Right now he's on navy leave, he's coming back in October and taking orders. There's a review of the Scarab, one of his basses, at harmony central, and on MX. I'll get the links for both.

Harmony Central

MX

4. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    The owner of the Scarab says he's gotten producers saying that that's the best bass they've heard.

5. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    As for your questions, all signs from the review point to yes. And for the price, OH YEAH. And if you don't mind me asking, how did you find them?

6. Andy3825

Andy3825

Jul 31, 2005
    Meriden, CT
    They look really good for $700, and if they're as good as the Scarab owner says, then go for it.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Theres only one proto that's being sold so far (the scarab).

He's an MX user that's on navy leave, as tryxx said. There were soundclips etc as well one MX want.

He's a great guy to talk to, I had a custom lined up for a while, but a new amp called me first.

8. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Does anyone have any actual experience with one of these? 800 bucks for a 5-string custom is almost too good to be true. The designs are nice, they do start looking like carl thompson basses towards the bottom. Something Claypool would play.

9. good rats

good rats

Jul 8, 2005
    I've heard a whole bunch of recordings of some of his basses and they sound amazing. And the guy who owns the Scarab says it's really really nice to play.

10. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I don't remember really how I found him. I think I was googling luthiers or something like that. Yes he does seem to be a nice guy. I've contacted him a couple times via email for purpose of as custom quote and he's always reply very politely. It's sounds like a good deal then. Think I'm going to be on that waiting list when he gets back. Thanks for all the links and comments guys.

11. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    I think he once said his basses are cheaper because he doesn't add the $800 for the name :p.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I'm curious about the parametric EQ.... the body shape is ... ok.

13. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    J-Raj: Did you see the other shapes he has sketched up?

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah, the CAD-like ones? Very cool stuff, but the scarab one isn't my thing... As stated before the electronics is what I'm more interested in.

15. i am really interested in the winter's EQ...i wonder if he retrofits!

16. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    He will retrofit an EQ for you, and he will accept your own designs. I've been talking with him on and off for quite some time about a custom double neck or fretless 6.

17. I've actually been bugging him for the schem of the EQ for quite some time... It certainly sounds great and allows EQ freaks like me to play around with it.

John's a great guy. He's always full of advice, and is very patient with me when I don't fully understand something. I've asked him a ton of questions about building, since I'm starting to build things myself, and he's not shy to share his experience with me, even though I don't plan on having him build me a bass. He's given me a lot of inspiration and a bunch of helpful tips, and he builds very nice basses.

He's planning on building several more prototypes when he gets home to give prospective buyers a better idea of what to expect from him. I can't judge the feel, but the tone and build quality is all very good, and he's not afraid to help you pick out the things to help your bass be perfect for you. He always is trying to make his basses the best bass possible within the budget of the buyer.

18. Hey guys, I'm the owner of that bass, and happy to answer any questions you may have. I have soundclips if anyone desires, as well as stories.

I did not say that producers claimed my bass to be the best they've heard. The producer I was working with, however, said that my bass had the best raw natural tone (as it was just going straight from pickups-output jack) that he'd heard for that style of music. Natural bottom end and midrange feel. I've got a second one on order as soon as JP returns from his navy trip.

The EQ is amazing. It is not five-band, as has been said, though. It is three band with parametrics... bandwidth and frequecy. Very versatile, and very very uncolored.

I can answer questions in this thread, or on AIM at almightypancakej

19. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Where can I find these soundclips?

20. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    AlmightyPancake how does the neck feel? Is it more like a P-bass than a jazz... you get what I'm trying to ask