Wireless: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkfish01, Nov 2, 2005.

1. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Hello all. I've been playing bass for roughly 16 months and am now currently in my church's youth band as well as a general rock band. I usually play with a Spector Performer but also have a '99 MIM Fender Jazz that I use on occasion. Although I have a 20ft Monster cable that I love to death, I've yearned for the ability to wander into the crowd without worrying about those pesky cables. This leads me to my next question: do you think a wireless system would be worht it? I'm looking at the Nady Encore 200 and from the looks of things it would be a good buy. Opinions?
  2. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    My instinct says no. Everything nady has been a let down (imo). They are cheap, but honestly, you get what you pay for. I own a AKG guitarbug, and I now rarely use it. Honestly, it's not worth sacrificing tone to be able to go into the audience. What I do is just use a long cord (for big show) and a smaller cord (for small shows) wrap it through my strap, and let the party begin.
  3. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
  4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I agree about the Nady, but there's one cheap wireless that kicks much butt...the Samson Stage 55. That is the ONLY cheap wireless I would even consider using.
  6. Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I play rock/metal/nu-metal for my church. I own a Dingwall Voodoo Zebra, played through an old Samson wireless unit, to my Trace GP12 SMX 4-10 combo (also running two 2x15 cabs), then DI to the PA. I use a little bottom compression, tube blend if I feel like it, and the Trace #1 preset EQ button. I never touch my EQ. I have great tone, even down to the low B. Through our Mackie system it vibrates the ceiling (credit over 10,000 watts of bass comin' atcha!).

IMO, you can EQ out any tone loss. For the freedom it offers, you can't beat it. There's nothing like running down to the crowd (or into it) if you want, or jamming out with your guitar players or lead singer (all the while watching your guitarists get stopped like a dog whose reached the end of it's leash).

As for what to use, if price is an issue, find an older Samson or other good name set on the 'Bay for under two bills. It's worth it, and a lot of fun.

Having said all that, I say GO FOR IT!! YOU'LL NEVER LOOK BACK!

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    A good wireless can be a very good thing.

A bad, or even mediocre, wireless can be a very bad thing.

My wireless units of choice are the X-Wire and the Shure ULXS series. Personally, I'm clumsy enough that any cable attached to me is going to cause great chaos. Plus, I often run sound at our shows, so I need to be able to get out front to hear what's going on. But I also do not want to compromise my tone, so a really good wireless is a must.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes on the wireless, no on the Nady. What you want is the Shure ULXS (not SLX) system, which is cheapest at Northern Sound and Light. Take the time to give them a call. Yes, it will be a little under $500, but you should save up until you can afford it. It's your sound, and Nady isn't up to the task for bass.
  9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I too have been looking for a wireless, and after trying out a few it seems that you have to pay over $500 to get one that works well for bass. Of course, you could look used, but even then I havn't had any luck.
  10. For me, the great bonus of having a wireless is not the ability to run into the crowd, but rather the fact that you can forget about the cord... usually you have to keep the fact that you are attatched via a cord in the back of your mind the whole gig. With a wireless, thats one less thing to worry about.

Also, you can go on, sound check/test your line and then walk off, or even check from backstage or whatever. A must for big stages, and peace of mind on smaller ones, plus, if you aren't using any floor pedals, then you can confine all the cables to your rig - no pesky cables to tape down across the stage.
  11. G-Man

G-Man Keeping it Solid

Jun 1, 2005
    South Carolina
    +1 on the Sennheiser

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

That's too bad.... I bought the AKG Guitarbug on eBay for $275 7 months ago and use it for 60% of my church and 85% of my club gigs.

I find that the freedom to walk, dance, etc without worrying about cords is great...and if the Holy Spirit come into the service...well, some of you know that you don't want anything in your way @ that time 'cause things tend to get a little exciting :D

I like the AKG, Sennheiser (pro models only), and the new Samson Airline 77....stay away from Nady and cheap systems!!
  13. I'm real prone to getting caught up in my (or anyone else's) cables. So I can't imagine life without wireless. I've been using a Samson SR-2 for more than a decade without any problems other than not being able to handle a B string, which I'll be getting a Nady Encore Bass wireless for. I'll give the Yay vote.
  14. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I give a yay to the wireless. But don't get it if you're not going to take advantage. I think it looks silly when guys have wireless and all they do is stand around. I had a big need for it because we are starting to play bigger stages, and we have a piano on one far side of the stage, and a synth on the other far side, and I play both at times, plus I like to rock out a ton. I picked up a Samson Series One wireless off ebay for $76 and couldn't be happier (considering price, that is). Don't go with the Nady though, you'll only be depressed in about a month.
  15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Like everyone else here I'm against buying cheap wireless units.
    Some good ones are to be had from Samson, Shure and Electrovoice and you should try them all out if you can.
    If you don't have the money to get a good new unit then shop around for a used one.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'll sell ya my great condition Guitarbug for cheap :D (trying to buy the new Samson Airline 77)
  17. I've been wireless for the last 10 years. I bought a rackmountable Samson back in '95. It was ok at the time, but I had it fixed 3 or 4 times and it was still cacking out on me. Finally last week, I broke down and ordered a new Shure ULXP. I used it on the weekend and it was great! I couldn't tell a difference from the cable.

I got the ULX as it was the only one I found that would go below 40Hz. I could've gone for the ULXS (standard) but opted for the ULXP (pro) version. I don't need the additional features, but my buddy got it through his company at cost. I figured after adding the rackmounting hardward for the standard version, the difference in price was minimal....and I have the "pro" version :cool:

I agree with some others others here on many points. I don't like buying cheap gear. I think that the little tone you lose in a live show is minimal, and more than compensated by the possibility to move around freely. I also do sound for most of the bands I play with and it is essential for sound check.

If you're thinking about it, DO IT!

18. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005

If you really need to "wander into the crowd", you should probably do some research and get the best you can.

Otherwise, no way.
  19. wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    I use a Shure wireless, and I seldom get too far from my rig. I just like not falling over the cord, or dragging it past the acoustic player's extra guitar on its stand and knocking things over! One thing to remember if you go too far- unless you have in-ear monitors, you will be playing BEHIND the rest of the band, incurring wrath from drummer and vocalist alike!