Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring Diagram for Jazz Parallel/Series Config

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fret Boiler, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    I am right in the middle of various mods on my Jazz bass, one of them is adding a push/pull pot for switching between parallel and series p/up arrangement. I noticed that there is some very good information here about how to do this, yet (as a novice) I had trouble finding decent wiring diagrams to assist me.

Anyway, I had some time and thought I'd post a diagram showing both the standard (classic) parallel wiring along side with changes that are needed to add parallel/series switching. The pull/push pot shown comes right out of StewMac, and I hope the diagrams and accompanying pictures help anyone else who is considering this mod.

Regards

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Very cool mod- thanks for posting that for us!

3. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Very, very cool of you. I'm using it to mod up my Jazz tommorrow.

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Does the wiring or pot change for a jazz bass with active electronics

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks Fret Boiler.. I just added this thread to the Pickup FAQ here at the top of this forum.

6. TheToe

TheToe

Feb 2, 2004
    Dayton, OH
    A few months ago, I added a push/pull switch to my MIM, and the series tone rocks! However, I'd like to go to a master volume, master tone, a bridge/neck blender, and the push/pull. I've looked around for a diagram to get me started, but no luck so far. Any ideas on where I could look for a diagram like this?

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    [​IMG]

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Great schematic- thanks!

9. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Holy crap, that's EXACTLY what I need!! Thank you!

10. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    You're welcome. I put in a 3PDT mini switch so the blend pot is bypassed when in series. That way if you have the blend pot set to give more bridge pickup than neck in parallel, the volume doesn't drop when you go to series. And when you go back to parallel, you'll be back to whatever blend setting you were using before.

You don't have to use a separate switch (the above is only doable with a 3PDT or 4PDT switch, which aren't available on a push/pull pot), but you'd have to change your blend a lot when going back and forth to series. In that case the neck pickup hot lead would go to the lower middle lug on the blend pot.

11. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i have ACTIVE EMG P/J set. it has 2 volume controls and 1 tone... i really dont' like having 2 seperate controls for each pickup. is there a way to put in a "blend" pot so i have a vol-blend-tone thing going on? i saw the diagram but i dont' know if it works for my situation, being active pickups and no push/pull pot and all... muchas thank yous

12. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Lyle, upon closer inspection of your diagram I have a question or two. First, is there a reason you suggest a 500k blend pot? Will a 250k work just as well? Second, on the actual diagram I noticed on the bottom right side of the toggle you have a red wire running from two of the pins. Is this necessary? Also, is there a specific reason you have one p'up grounded to the toggle and one to the jack? Finally, do you have a larger version you could email me of that diagram?

Oh yeah, one more sttttuuuuppppiiiiddd question. Is there a specific direction you wire the toggle? I mean, if I follow the diagram I can't wire it upside down, right?

thanks again

13. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Beav,

I suggest a 500K blend pot because each pickup will "see" the resistance of four pots, the volume, the blend (two pots, really), and the tone. This can make a blend circuit darker than stock if the blend is 250K. But a 250K blend pot will work.

The red wire on the bottom right of the toggle is a jumper that will connect the neck negative lead to the bridge positive lead when the switch is in series. This is very necessary.

The neck negative is attached to the toggle so that it connects to the bridge pickup in series but goes to ground in parallel. The bridge pickup always goes to ground, so it goes to the negative lug of the output jack (used as a common ground in the diagram- you'd also want to attach the bridge ground to this lug if your bass isn't fully shielded and the shield tied to ground).

I'll email you a larger version tomorrow if you'll remind me at some point. Too tired tonight.

If you wire everything exactly as shown, you will have no problems. When the switch is down, the circuit is in parallel (normal J mode). When the switch is up, the circuit is in series.

14. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Awesome man, can't wait to get my parts in!

15. d.bond

d.bond

Feb 11, 2005
    Kewanee, IL
    this might be stupid, but does anyone have the schematic for v/b/t (push/pull for tone, without 3pdt)?

16. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Kinda wondering that too - wanna kill as many birds with one stone as possible, and wanna keep it easy - from the looks of what i want this may not be so easy, lol

17. I drew up a diagram showing the American Jazz upgrade S-1 Switch wiring for anyone to mod the standard Jazz bass but I like this version better as it concentrates on using the main circuit in a standard Jazz with the Blend pot.
    Pretty kewl drawing and easy to understand. Thanks for posting it. I have saved it to my computer.
    Gary

18. d.bond

d.bond

Feb 11, 2005
    Kewanee, IL
    nevermind, i found the v/b/t (w/o 3DPT) schematic on lyle's site. i remember seeing it somewhere but i couldn't remember.
    i think i'm going to give that one a shot.