1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring Help - Bartolini NTBT

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DigthemLows, Dec 30, 2006.

1. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    Re: My first build thread down a ways.....

I got it all set up and there's no sound......just a loud hum and all the pots/jack/everything are amplified except the pickups (if I touch them it clicks through the amp). I'm searching everywhere to figure out where i'm wrong. I'm grounding to a slug in the cavity instead of to the bridge, could this be it? I've tried changing the wires around on the input jack and then in changes to a pulsing hum. The pots are Treble, Bass, Volume, and blend to two pickups. Man what a thrill killer to plug in my first build and have no sound.

[​IMG]

2. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Id try the pups direct to the jack just to make sure they are ok, then test each pot out. I had a similar problem once and it ended up being the blend pot.

3. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Plug it in with the wires all exposed like in the picture. When I swapped pups and packed it all into the cavity, some exposed wire/solder touched and it would not work.

4. Is your slug in the cavity grounded to the output jack? If not, nothing you have attached to it is actually grounded.

5. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia

+1 Everything else looks fine.

[​IMG]

6. rbrown13

rbrown13 supporting member

Sep 9, 2005
    bakersfield ca,
    it looks to me that you don't have the blend pot wired properly, the pickups main leads should be on the center contacts and you have to jump the left term. on the top pot to the right term. on the bottom pot if you are looking at it from the top with the terminals facing away from you. look at the diagram.

7. DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I think I've tried every combination now..........still just a hum and loud pops when I touch anything..........how do I run the pups direct to the jack? Just ground the jack to the slug and run the pups direct to the "tip"?

8. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    Forget about the "slug" and connect the ground direct to the sleeve part of the jack (where your black wire coming of the preamp is connected). Try this before you start checking the pickups.

If you still need to check the pickups you connect the live wire coming of the p/up to the tip and ground wire to the sleeve part of your jack.

9. DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    which ground wire? The pups only have a single coaxial wire coming from them.....do I run a ground from the "sleeve" to the slug?? I couldn't get anything to work this way? This is getting very frustrating.....

10. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    Yes, sleeve to the ground and then connect the slug to the ground on the jack to close the circuit. As it is now your circuit is broken and it sounds as if you've only connected the hot wire coming of your pickups and left the ground disconnected.

11. DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    That was exactly the problem. I didn't have the outer sleeve grounded to anything..........I did that and I have a beautiful sounding bass with no hum!!!

12. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    There you go! :)