Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wiring help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by infamousxtopher, Jan 17, 2005.

1. hi guys i'm new here, jsut looking for some advice. i'm currently finishing up my first fully custom bass, and while i'm decent with the woodworking aspect i've never really dealt with the wiring side of things. i'm going to be a using a p style pickup probably a basic fender vintage series, and i was wondering whether it would be possible to run this directly to an output jack or whether there needs to be some sort of volume/tone buffer. that's all for now thanks for your help guys.

-topher

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    hi, welcome!

You can wire your pickup straight to the jack, you don't need volume/tone controls. Some people feel this gives a purer sound, I have no reason to doubt them but since I've never tried this myself I can't personally verify it.

3. alright jsut making sure it was possible, i don't really need the onboard controls as my feet are plenty busy controlling my tone :) i'm glad to hear this is possible now if anyone could help me out with a wiring diagram...i'm assuming its just the hot wire and ground going to my bridge. woo

4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    That's pretty much it, yeah. I find it's helpful to add an on-off toggle switch, for in-between songs, unless you have some other way to mute, which would make the toggle pointless.

5. i use an ernie ball volume pedal in front of all my effects so i can jsut mute it that way, bu the toggel switch is a good idea..jsut in case. thanks guys