1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

wiring help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CRAIGisNOTcool, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Hello, this is my first post to this forum.

I have a Squire MB5 bass that is a few years old. I know it's only a squire but I love the body and neck on it. The action is simply perfect. The problem is the pickups suck. So I recently bought a pair of Fender Samarian Cobalt Noiseless 5 string Pickups.

The wiring diagram that comes with the pickups doesn't seem to be right. It's has 2 double layer pots, and all jazz basses I'm familiar with have a 3 pot setup.

I wanted to wire these pups up like a standard jazz. Volume ,Volume , and Tone. The problem with that is then I don't know the proper capacitors to use. Also I was planning on using 500k pots in order to have the ability to turn the highs up a little bit more when playing harmonics.

If any one could help me find the wiring diagram for the SCN Jazz set (I did a google search, no dice) or if anyone knows if the standard jazz wiring on this bass would work please let me know.

I appreciate any and all advice, Thank you. - Craig

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Here's a link to a standard vol-vol-tone jazz wiring diagram.

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/pdf/%2775_jazz_diagram.pdf

Typically, a jazz bass would utilize a .022uf capacitor but if you're going with 500k pots you might want to go with a slightly higher value to roll off a little more high end when you use the tone knob (.033uf or .047uf are common).