1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wiring question - P/J wired Master V/V/V?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tribbinator, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Tribbinator

Tribbinator

Dec 19, 2011
    Since this is my first "from scratch" wiring job - I need a little help.
    [​IMG]

These are the pickups.

[​IMG]

And this is the wiring diagram.

I have three questions:

1.) On all three pots, the top prong seems to be bent up - is it sodered onto the wire going from pot ground to pot ground?

2.) The wires connecting the pots that aren't red are just normal gauge wire that I have to get on my own, right?

3.) Red wires go to prong, black and white wires get sodered together and taped, and all the green wires get sodered on top of the pot along with the wire connecting the pots? (Top wire series on diagram)

Thank you for all the help.

P.s. - I'm not an electrician, so you might have to explain things to me in a simple manner.

P.p.s - Is there any specific reason DiMarzio doesn't color code these diagrams?

2. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    ...why do you need a master if you already have an individual for each? Seems a bit repetitive to me personally but if you actually have a reason I'm interested :)

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    also, each volume pot you adds exacts a price in tone loss; don't use three where two will do.

4. Tribbinator

Tribbinator

Dec 19, 2011
    Ahh, I did not know about the tone-loss...I just prefer the ability to roll off master volume when I need it, and keep the other 2 volumes at different spots for different tones. But, now that I know about the tone-loss, what do you guys suggest?

V/V/T? The only problem with this is, I have today and tomorrow afternoon to wire this up, and I have yet to buy pots - calling GuitarCenter tomorrow to see what they have in stock...Otherwise I just wont gig it Sunday.

Thank you for all the help again.

5. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    lots of threads around here about the "unloaded blend" or "ungrounded blend".

V/blend pot/T, with the ground connections left off the blend pot so it doesn't affect the tone.

get a linear taper volume, a 250k M/N blend/balance pot, and an audio tone pot, and you'll be in business.

6. Tribbinator

Tribbinator

Dec 19, 2011
    I believe my Charvel CX 490 has that setup. It has P/J pickups, with the P reversed. Inside the cavity is a ton of wiring. The first pot is master volume, the third pot is tone (has a cap on it) and the second pot though...is maybe the blend you are talking about? It's a double high pot with 3 prongs below another 3 prongs, and when turning the knob, it kind of "clicks" or latches at 5, but it goes to 10 or anything in between. That second one is extremely useful in, well, blending haha.

I'll go look up those setups,
    Thank you!

7. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yep, the "double-stacked" one is the blend pot.

you'll see that the pickups go to it first.