1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring question...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SimplemanBB450, Oct 31, 2010.

1. I just installed Bassline's SCBP-3 into my bass with new Volume and Tone pots [CTS 250K] as well as input jack. The trouble I'm running into is regarding the Volume Control. With the volume completely closed/off I'm still getting sound out of my amp. What would cause this? If a picture of my wiring is required, please advise otherwise your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks TB'ers.

2. A properly wired volume control shorts either the pickup or the output (Depending on how many volumes) directly to ground at 0 ohms. If you are still getting a signal, that would usually indicate that the pot is not grounding the signal properly.

Is the third terminal grounded?

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that, and if you have the pickup going to the middle lug instead of the clockwise lug, you can get a faint noise bleed-through when it's turned all the way down.

pickup goes to clockwise lug, middle lug goes to the jack, counterclockwise lug gets grounded.

4. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    I can't find that model on Google. Is it the STC3-P preamp by any chance?

5. Thanks for the input - im gonna check it out tomorrow and see what i can find out. Samsound, i had a dyslexic moment.. it should be a scpb-3, thanks.

6. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Ahh, a pickup. I suspected that's what it was.

7. I think I found out what it might be... I forgot to ground the 3rd tab on the Volume Control... I plan on soldering a wire today, we'll see if that works. Thanks again for all the input.