1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wiring question

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by gkman1, Jul 25, 2012.

1. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    Ihave an EMX 512C Yamaha mixer and two ELX 118P and 115P powered speakers. I was told to go out from the "monitor out" on the mixer to one of tops then link the other speakers. Does it matter if I go out of the mixer to one of the tops or start with the subwoofer? Thanks!!

2. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    Monitor out or main out are line level.
    Use a TRS to XLR it will work fine.
    The mixer manual should have the info.

3. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    Yes, I use a Y cable and a TRS to go from the mixer to the 1st speaker and 2nd speaker...just didn't know if there was rhyme or reason to go to the sub or a top first....My mixing knowledge is limited :))

4. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    If running a mono system no Y cable needed and splitting the signal reduces the level. Most if not all powered speakers have XLR in/out to pass thru and use as many speakers as you want.

5. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    So are you saying go from the monitor out on the mixer to the input of the subwoofer then daisy chain everything else?

6. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    I would go main out.
    Which speaker you go to first depends on the speakers. Most power subs have an In and and out that says HP or HPF thru.
    That means the crossover is in the sub and the HPF outs is passing everything above sub freq. some have 2 sets of outs on the sub. Full range thru or HPF thru, and some have a HPF switch to choose.

Ev and QSC you run into the top first then to subs. It's in the manuals what settings and jacks you use. Umm not to be a jerk but it's easy to download a manual.
    RTFM.

7. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    I have looked at the manuals and that's the reason for the post. The speaker manual states to go from the mixer to the sub. The mixer manual states to go from the monitor out to the sub. You mentioned to go from the main outs to the top. I'm getting different answers from other people too.....just didn't know what the difference was going from the monitor out or using the main outs.....To me, it seems you would use the main outs for the main speakers which includes a sub and a top...