1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wiring Speakers Question

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ChrisPatterson, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Hey guys...I have an amp that runs an 8 ohm minimum extension cabinet. I was gonna use my 2 x 15 cab but its two 8 ohm speakers so its a 4 ohm cabinet. All I need to do is just disconnect the bottom 15, right? It's wired so that it goes from the speaker jack input to the top 15, then soldered together from the top 15 to the bottom 15, however I can just unplug that bottom speaker and in effect just be using the one 8 ohm speaker right?

2. chicomalo

chicomalo

Jul 17, 2012
    Escondido, CA
    Correct.

3. --Vissinger --

--Vissinger --

Jan 31, 2010
    Yes, you can do that.

You'll also hear from a number of people who will warn about various things, then someone will wonder why you don't use a fEarful cab, then finally someone else will suggest that only Hitler might disconnect a single driver in a 2x15 cab.

4. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    ;) Such is the internet.

Also, OP, what amp are you using? You could perhaps disconnect the internal, and drive the full 2x15.

5. There is a problem to consider.............

Are the speakers in the 2X15 in one large cab, or are they in seperate chambers ?

If they are in one big cab, disconnecting one of them changes the tuning of the cab and can damage the working speaker.

6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Chris, as long as you are opening something, I would probably opt to open the combo (your Peavey Tour 115?), and disconnect that speaker, and then run the 215 as is, not to affect the tuning of the box, as it is designed for the TWO 15's ...

in this case, seeing as you are using EITHER the combo speaker, OR the 215 cab, I would probably opt to install an exterior jack for the internal combo speaker as well, so I wouldnt need to open the box to make the connect/disconnect each time, and then run everything through the external speaker jack on the amplifier... that way I can still use the combo alone in smaller situations, where the single 15 is sufficient ... this would give you some modularity also, and there would never be a chance of mistakenly using a second cab and lowering the impedance beyond what the head is capable of ... and should you decide to find a second 8 ohm speaker (and it has two jacks) you could just piggy-back your combo speaker off of it, again for your 4 ohm load ...

... just an expansion on earlier suggestions, but something to consider in your situation ... JMHO

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Chris, questions like this would probably get a lot more activity in the Amps/cabs forum :)_

8. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    8 Ohm total minimum, or 8 Ohm minimum for the second cabinet, the first being 8 Ohms?

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    +1

Seems to me you'll properly move more air using the full 2x15 cab.

10. Hi Chris, you may want to experiment with being able to either connect the bottom or top speaker, having the driver closer to the floor can add to bass response. the disconected driver will still be working as it is still connected through the air in the cab, this idea has been used in speaker design for a long time, hopefully it won't give you any tunning problems. Have a look at http://www.centerpointaudio.com/PassiveRadiators.aspx

11. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Easiest way to disconnect a speaker in a cabinet, is like this.
    2hncpp0.

otherwise as mentioned the min load is actually 4ohms

but if it is a combo they are accounting for the 8ohm load already attached. So yes be better to disconnect the built in speaker and run the 2x15 as a 4ohm load. better to run a matching pair.

or get a new amp.