1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

wisdom teeth tmm

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by vbasscustom, Apr 8, 2009.

1. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    im scared man, ive never had any kind of surgery, ever. i know its nothin, but i dont like IVs. i dont mind a needle in and out, but an IV scares the crap outta me, i mean what if someone bumps my arm, and the needle snaps off or something. but anyway, i really dont want my gums cut up.
    any thoughts?

2. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Are they putting you under anesthesia?
    As far as IV needles go just try and focus on some thing other than your arm, I find the sensation of IV's rather unsettling as well.
    And they usually tape it (the needle) to your arm to prevent it falling out. And Google dry socket, learn to prevent it.

3. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    yeah, im gonna be kinda out, but not really. i dont know how it works. but i really dont mind in and out needles. but the ones that are in there for a while is scary crap man

4. Jamie Bishop

Jamie Bishop Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Laney Amplication
    Don't worry about it. Those fears are short-lived once you're plugged in. When I had mine out they had me count backwards from 100 when they started the IV in. I believe I made it to 98. The needle will not snap, it's surgical stainless steel. Even if it does, so what? I just saw on the news a guy that got a harpoon through his brain and is now fine. You will be fine, wisdom teeth must be dealt with by most/all to avoid future trouble. Just listen to the doctor and ICE ICE ICE!!!!! Trust me, it's no problem.

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    My dad is a dentist, and although i havent had it done to myself, ive seen others under IV sedation. All i can tell you is its going to be fun. I would worry about the pain after more than anything. You get the IV in, and your in LALA land. If your dentist allows, bring a favorite album to listen to.

6. YOu'll live.

Don't try to play bass under the effects of painkillers. you can't.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Man up.

8. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Got mine out about a year ago.

Dentist let me listen to music on headphones because I was "awake" for the whole thing. I chose Dark Side of the Moon. Man, I have never enjoyed that album so much.

Then they gave me Vicodin. So about a week there is kind of like runny paint, with maybe 4 or 5 real memories.

And then I had to avoid the back of my mouth when I was brushing my teeth for a few weeks.

And then I was fine.

+1 to the "ICE ICE ICE!" comment. And make a long list of soft things you'd like to eat. Pudding, jello, applesauce, easy cheese, whatever, as long as you don't have to chew it.

Oh, and the surgery itself is no big deal. I'm the world's biggest needle-phobe (that's barely an exaggeration) and I didn't give a horse's **** what they put in my mouth after they gave me my happy pill/gas/whatever they did. I don't even remember.

9. Cakewalk. A little(OK, medium ;))pinch, dope hits your bloodstream & lights out. Wake up w/a different mouth, heal up fully in a week or two, no big.

10. +1 on the "Google dry socket" . . . learn it and live it... dry socket is no joke, so avoid it at all costs please!!

You'll make it thru the procedure. Keep that toothbrush far away from the site of the extractions, unless you love to prolong agony and healing times.

11. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    It's not so bad.

I actually woke up in the middle of my extraction (they took all 4) but it didn't hurt. It was a little weird though.

Recovery isn't too bad either but you can't really eat anything for the first 2 days. Never in my life have I been so happy to see soup as I was on day 3 :)

12. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    No worries, man! I had all four taken out at once. IV sedation is your friend. I remember once they started the drugs, the oral surgeon was talking to me. I just looked at him and couldn't respond. Then it was lights out. I woke up in the recovery area.
    :cool:

13. chodax

chodax

Jul 12, 2008
    You don't feel a thing and then you get an ample supply of pain meds. Just sit down, relax, and turn on your xbox and prepare to play Dead Rising for 12 hours.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not bad at all... I've had three surgeries, have had more than my share of IV's and frankly, compared to the rest, wisdom teeth was a cakewalk.

Sit down in the chair, doc will tell you what's going to happen, they gas you up, then insert the IV, and then you start counting backwards. Struggle to stay conscious, you shouldn't make it past 95... that stuff works WONDERS.

I woke up after the surgery, said some really funny things, and was on my way. I have sporadic memories that day and the day after from the drugs. The worst part about the surgery is being conscious of your diet for a bit after that.

Like I said, it's a cakewalk. The people who put in the IV's do it ALL the time, they're perfectly safe. I hate needles more than the next guy but you gotta realize, that needle in your hand/arm is the reason you're high as a kite. After that, you learn to enjoy the IV.

15. first surgery i had outside of one of my renegade gonads not wanting to play ball at age 6mo or whatever- but dont stress man. unless theyre already coming in- its really noninvasive. i love crusty french bread- and i ate that at day two- so- youre fine. theyll dope you up too. so- get yourself a comfortable bed/couch- and a bowl to spit blood in- and preferably a mom/dad/good friend to change your gauze out- and your golden. its not invasive- tons of folks have it- and youre fine.

edit- oh ya- and the mouth heals faster than most anything else. from an evolutionary standpoint- any creature that cannot intake sustenance will certainly die- hence the motivation to get said areas healed asap. its really not bad- nothing youll remember much- and allinall- not a bad way to go.

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Suck it up. You'll be fine :D

17. What he said.......

You'll be fine, Gladys.;)

18. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Wow. Most of you guys got on IV?

I had local anaesthesia and that's it. Even if the op included bone-drilling and a cut muscle. Didn't feel a thing.

I guess being operated unconscious is quite comfortable :D

19. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    ok yeah, so i got em out, no big deal, like you guys said. now, the combo of meds they gave me, if making my stomach feel as though it is going to explode. i managed to climb out of bed to get out here to see my buds on TB, and to tell you all that i have no pain in my mouth, but in my stomach only.

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Check the med label. Maybe you can eat something with the meds. That might help. It did for me.