Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wish me luck...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So, been working things out on the phone, and looks like I'll be getting a job...

Playing bass. :D
    Local band (who will be unnamed til it's 100% certain) on their way up, doing Godsmack/Monster Magnet/Nickelback original stuff. Not my bag of bricks, but it's not something I'm opposed to considering I can stand to make a good deal of money.

Anywhere from $90-1500 a show, with a lot bearing a $500 minumum: aka mostly $100 a show to yours truely with some shows less but a lot on the higher end of that. Throw down anywhere from 3-12 shows a month around the northwest and west coast (CA, AZ, NV, WA, OR, ect), it could be a very decent position.

We've talked for a few days, and I got the CD to learn the material, and Thursday is adudition day. I'm looking at this like a job more than a band. But, you don't just skip work or slack off if you want a raise, so the band will get all of me I could throw in a job, but I won't consider it my main gig (that would be the band I'm doing vocals for).

Still...If I get this, I probably won't need to get a "real job." Does this mean I could technically be a "pro" bassist? Or just a bass whore? Either way, bass as a job is any musician's dream.

I'm the odd man out, with everyone else being in their late 20s, early 30s, and myself only 19.

So, wish me luck...might need it, and it can't hurt either way.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    good luck. i envy you.:bassist:

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Good luck, man. Let me know if you're gonna be in the San Diego area (I drop in from Groom occasionally). And yes, you'd be a pro.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Knock 'em dead, stud-muffin.

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Shiat, 1500 a show. That's A LOT MAN!! Good luck, congrats.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, that comes out to about $300 a person, and that's after merchandise and whatnot. Not like I'm making that kinda dough all the time. That's a couple shows a year. Most of the time I'd probably be making maybe 100-200 a show. Prolly $125ish.

But, hey, 4 or more shows like that a month...

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Sounds like a good deal! Lemme know... I'm local and would definitely come check it out!

-robert

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Good luck with that, Brendan! Who knows...just a few shows and you might have your FBB on order! It's a very nice thing when you make enough playing bass that you don't have to work. Luckily for me, I work with family, so I can come and go as I please for a little extra cash on top of gig money.

10. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, thats like 1200 a month at the most, that is still really good.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's right. Combined with a day gig at GC, you'd be livin' large.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Did the deed yesterday. They asked me back for another couple practices. Not 100% yet, but that they asked me back at all is a good thing. They responded "Can never tell from just one practice," when I only 1/2 (possibly 1/3) joking told them I was laying enough eggs to start a buisness (having gotten the material only a couple days beforehand), so it sounds like they've got some faith in me, how ever misguided faith in me is...

They're all cool guys, and seemed to like me well enough, particularly that I pick up pretty fast, and have the ability to look very much like a serial killer when needs be.

They aren't auditioning other players, and I've got the feeling that I'll probably get the oficial offer come Thursday (in two more practices).

Here's hoping what went well goes well.

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Congratulations, B. It sounds like things might be looking good for you. Keep us updated!

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't think you need us to wish you luck, sounds to me like you got it. :bassist:

I'm glad to hear your making money doing (sorta) what you want. I make money (less a gig, but sounds like more gigs) in my uncles band. We do ol' Classic Rock tunes, and a few... country songs. We range from Judas Priest to Brooks and Dunn and everything in between.

From what I've heard from your talk of metal, your more into the extreme end of it (correct?). But I don't think it's fair to link Monster Magnet with Godsmack and Nickleback (I know you are just trying to describe what they sound like) But I feel that Monster Magnet is leagues above those other bands. Very Sabbathy, but different. Groove (Stoner?) metal at it's finest. Dopes to infinity is a kick ass album. But then again, if that genre isn't your bag, then it isn't.

I'm done derailing your thread. But yeah, I almost guarentee you got this gig.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I suppose Stoner Metal is fitting for Monster Magnet. They throw in spacey trippy effects and whatnot in the songs. Plus my old roomate, a huge stoner, loves them. And he hates metal. But some "Stoner" metal bands are just groovy.

17. Make sure you put a big bottom in the band and don't do just roots. Do lots of slap and other good stuff.

Kind of like Ryan Martinie in Mudvayne. Would have worked with just roots, but he goes above and beyond that several thousand times over.

:bassist: :bassist:

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ugh, there you go with the Mudvayne guy again. You know, there are other good bassists in this world.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I concur although Martinie is a good bassist, but he doesnt deserve to be glorified. There are greater song writers than Martinie by far.