Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WITCHCRAFT!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    There was a brief discussion of these guys in the Stoner Rock thread. In fact there were many brief discussions of many bands, if I might be so bold, Witchcraft may be the greatest "Stoner rock" band since Black Sabbath!

First off, they only play/record with Vintage gear (nothing older than 73 if I'm not mistaken). You'll think your listening to something from the 70s.

Instead of taking the ultra heavy bits from Sabbath like so many bands are guilty of, they go for the melodic, Renaissance esque parts that Sabbath dabbled with, but never persued extensively. It's almost like Sabbath meets Jethro Tull. Basically... GO LISTEN TO WITCHCRAFT NOW!

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    For an example (Right Click/Save As): The Snake - From their self titled album.

MP3 was found in the "Free Sample" Areas of Stonerrock.com. Note: This is reduced quality so they could fit it on their website. It isn't the best Witchcraft song, but it's one of the simple rockier ones.

Mods: Since this is an MP3 that anyone could get for free (legally) from stonerrock.com, I assumed I could link to it. If I am mistaken, feel free to delete this post.

3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I have to check these guys out...I'll listen later when I get home from work.

FWIW...I've heard they sound alot like Pentagram, which is a good thing.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, allmusic can say it better than I can...

So, I'd say the reason for the Pentagram influence is pretty obvious.

5. Already have the album in your avatar. Love it

6. I've heard them and they make a very comforting sound :)

7. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I haven't got any of their stuff, but I know people who are very into them.

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Wow. Its like Sabbath doing a cover of a Candlemass song....

9. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I just listened to the snake. Amazing. Sweet sabbathy doom...I love it! :bassist:

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

The last song on the self titled is so great, it's so Renaissance including the story lyrics. Also the song, "It's so easy" is blowing my mind right now. My guitarist wrote about it in his blog saying something like, "I wish I could have a friend betray me so I could relate to this song more... it's just so cool." Err.. something... yeah!! :bassist:

11. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I just bought the self-titled album "Witchcraft" and "Firewood" from borders. I listened briefly to Witchcraft and it's great. My first impression: Love the vintge vibe & tone, good songs, good bass playing and I love the singer's voice. I'm impessed aty how they draw so much influence from bands like Sabbath, Pentagram, Witchfinder General, etc...but still sound unique.

Anyway, awesome band. Great recommendation Matt! :bassist:

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Glad to see you got the albums, sadly not too many people know of these guys, I'm just trying to get the word out a bit more.

13. Those fingers in my hair...
    That sly come hither stare...
    That strips my conscience bare...
    It's...Witchcraft...

14. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Listened to the self titled LP, and 1/2 of Firewood this morning. I love how the 1st album sounds like it was recorded in a dungeon. Really adds to their whole vibe. I picture these guys as the house band at "the Slaugthered Lamb" pub from the movie American Werewolf in London... Anyway, I also love the last couple songs on the album, tracks 8-11.

Firewood is amazing!! I only listened to the first 5 songs. It's slightly less vintage sounding, due to the slicker production. But equally, if not more impressive. "Wooden Cross" and "Queen of Bees" rock tremendously. I can't wait for the drive home to hear what else this album has in store for me!

15. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Anyone hear any of these bands before?

Whats up with Captain Beyond? I've heard of them, but never heard them. Wasn't the singer from Deep Purple in this band or am I confused?

Oh yeah. Witchcraft still rocks!!! :bassist:

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I dunno. I'm going to have to check out some of those bands too!

I couldn't help but noticed Witchcraft is still awesome...

17. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Comus are like, the best thing ever.

Really odd, twisted "acid folk" music - their first album was an utter masterpiece. Their second is great, but is a lot more poppy than fans were expecting, and even the band themselves aren't pleased about it. But it's still worth checking out, and the first album is essential for everyone.

Luckily, they recently released a twin CD set including both albums and a few other tracks for a very nice price. It also contains a booklet explaining about them and the two albums.

Amazon

Seriously, Comus are utterly fantastic.

18. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Cool, I might have to buy that Comus CD.

Speaking of "Acid Folk" Its funny- I was listening to the last song on the s/t album, the one Matt refered to earlier as so renaissance. For whatever reason, after listiening to this album repeatedly I'd only heard the beginning and end of that song. So I finally heard the heavy part in the middle for the first time the other day. ***!! I couldn't believe how sick that part is. The backward lyrics came on and I thought I was either having a flashback or being possesed...crazy. :bassist:

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That song is such a trip all around. It's got that bouncy folky feel to it for the majority of it, and it tells an interesting story.

My favorite tunes are probably "Witchcraft" and "It's so Easy" just because of the "Thought you were my friend, awww yeah, you betrayed me again... you ****ing bastard!" It's way too Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, but in a good way.

20. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    "What I Am"

That is all. ;)