1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wizzy 10 + Wizzy 12?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by hdiddy, Aug 27, 2012.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Just curious: anybody tried this combo?

I have a Focus SA as my power amp and been playing through the Wizzy 10 and am pretty happy with it. Thinking about a second EA cab to go with it and not sure about a 10" or a 12". I'm planning on mounting the 10 on a pole and maybe putting the other cab on the floor.

Not really looking to pour too much more money into the bass rig so just a cab and a stand would make me happy for more volume needs. Thoughts?

2. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Yes. I take them to gigs with my Clarus. Mostly I use the 10" on top of the 12" when, strangely, it seems to enhance the bass from the 12". But sometimes the 12" is best on its own and there again sometimes I use just the 10". No theory behind this but it all depends on the room and is very quick and easy to figure out during setting up. Funny old world.

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Thanks Roger. What are you criteria for working one or the other by themselves? Smaller room = 10, Med room = 12, large room and/or high ceilings both?

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    You really shouldn't mate a 10" with a 12" as the average is 11". Odd-inched sized speaker cones radiate odd harmonic distortion while even-inched sized ones radiate even harmonic distortion which is more musical and less fatiguing. That's why the most common sizes are 6", 8", 10", 12" and why people don't like 15" drivers as much.

Yes, this is nonsense. :D

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I would have bought that...

6. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    I use the W10/W12 combo for my big-band gigs. I point the 12 forward and the 10 toward the rest of the band, including the drummer--who's the only one who knows that I'm the timekeeper, interestingly.

With that speaker combo, I can turn it up to 11, which matches the average size of the speakers.

7. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    No criteria, really. Small room 10", big hall 10" plus 12" but anything in between it's simply a matter of piling the ten on the twelve, turning on the amp and plugging/unplugging the three permutations until I get a good sound. Takes minutes. I'll be doing it tomorrow.

8. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Yes.

9. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    So, everything I've read here about phase problems when mixing speakers of different sizes is all nonsense???

10. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Dunno if it's a nonsense but it works for me. Sometimes empiricism triumphs over theory.

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    There's no theory of which I'm aware that would support specific phase issues being the result of having different cone sizes, per se in the circumstances of interest here. You may find this useful. :)