1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wizzy 110 vs GK 112MBX cab

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bovinator, Jul 19, 2007.

1. bovinator

bovinator

Jul 12, 2006
    i'm currently using a GK 112MBX cab with a clarus SL head (carved czech bass mixed strings with realist & fishman platinum pre or vintage fender jazz w sadowski preamp). i originally bought this setup solely on it's weight - quite simply it was the lightest cab + amp combination i could find at the time (yep, another subway catching bass player) and the fact that i hardly ever need an amp as most new york venues provide them.

recently though i've been encountering more and more loud gig situations where i need to bring my amp and this setup generally sounds too 'woolly' and unfocused when used at any volumes exceeding soft.

could anyone compare the sound difference between the EA wizzy 110 and GK 112MBX cabs? i realize that we are comparing 10" & 12" speakers and all but weight and dimension-wise they seem comparable. i've never played through a 110 cab so i don't really know what to expect (though i've really disliked most 210 cabs i've played through and much prefer 112s).
    cheers.

2. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Bob Gollihur had a post on this very cab. Do a search and check it out.

3. bovinator

bovinator

Jul 12, 2006
    already did - i'm interested in a comparison (sound-wise) between the wizzy 10 and the GK 112 from someone who has used them both - as i think they are both in the 'extremely lightweight speaker' category.

4. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    FWIW I have 2 EA Wizzy 12 cabs (E and M) and a GK 112MBX. The Wizzys are much more articulate and have far more presence and clarity than the little GK cab, which doesn't have much in the way of upper mids or highs. The GK MB amps are voiced to help make up for the 112MBX's limitations, while the Acoustic Image amps are very neutral and are not voiced at all. The Wizzy 12 cabs don't need a hyped amp and sound very good with a clean and neutral amp like an AI. The Wizzys are also much more sensitive than the 112MBX, which really makes a big difference. Although the GK 112MBX is a very handy little cab, it's just not in the same league as the Wizzy 12's sound and performance wise.

5. Man .... Thanks RobGrow .... you are as articulate as the Wizzy :) ! I am now solidly-sold on getting a Wizzy 12 to go along with my AI Coda. I think the Wizzy 12 is better for me since it has a wider freq response than the 10 (even if 10 lbs heavier) and has the same SPL spec as the Wizzy 10. I've been leaning heavily that way but now you have pushed me over the edge. Dang .... gotta go count the rainy-day fund sitting in the cookie jar right now :p !

6. robgrow

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You're welcome. I'd highly recommend the Wizzy M. It's really a great cab.

7. Thanks Again RobG :) ..... What's your take on a previous post I had ..... a weird thought I had about using my Coda and a Wizzy for small gigs rather than a "normal" PA system?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338463

Do you think a Wizzy M might be a better choice than a Wizzy 12? I'm thinking about a wide-range freq response for the "central" LDC mic for vocals and other instruments and not just my DB. Your opinions are highly valued (as they always are, at least to me :p ).

8. robgrow

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Bob, Quite honestly, I don't know. Sounds to me like it's worth a try though, and that's the only way you'll find out if your idea works or not.

The regular Wizzy is a great cab, but I think most people would appreciate the Wizzy M, which there has been much written about in this forum.