Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wizzy Powered Speaker & Avalon Tube Pre

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ElMon, Mar 26, 2005.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I have a question about this set up for upright, but I would like to preface it with a comment. I COMPLETELY understand the subjective nature behind asking the question of "how will this set up sound with my particular bass" and how that is nearly impossible to determine without the intimate knowledge of that particular piece of wood with strings.

Now, I know what to expect having owned EA cabs and amps before insofar as general tonality and accuracy, but I really would like the input of any bassists who have experience with the avalon DI, whether live or in the studio.
    By the way, this consideration is only on the consideration of portability because I have tried a DB 680 preamp through the wizzy powered 12 and the sound was amazing. Tube can be just as accurate as anything else when paired with the right projection and power. The combo of the warmth and fullrange clarity sounded miles better to me with my gut strung Kay acoustic than the preamp section of the Iamp 800 did. IMO. Thanks in advance.

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have a cheap Glaesel bass with a K&K Bass Max pickup. I use an Avalon U5 to a QSC PLX 1202 and a Bergantino HT112 cab. I lov eth eAvalon as a preamp for my upright. It's the only combination that has sounded good to me, and I've tried a bunch of combinations.

3. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I use an avalon U5 all the time as both a preamp into a power amp and as a di, and I absolutely love it. I never really mess with the eq persets either--I almost always run it flat. It just brings out every aspect of your playing in a pleasant way, so the highs sound good and the lows sound good and the mids are good, and since it's all there I spend more time focused on actually shaping the tone with my fingers, rather than twiddling knobs. The U5 is not a tube di--it's all solid state. But there's not a trace of the tonal qualities that usually bug me about solid state

I was always a lo fi, tube guy, but the avalon has reaally chaanged my mind about a lot of things

4. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I use an inexpensive ART tube preamp to run into the effects input of my Polytone. Understanding the subjective nature of sound prefs and the limitless combinations of bass/pickup/mic/amp/preamp, any guesses as to how the Wizzy Powered 12" might sound with this entry level preamp? Would it even work?

I know there is no substitute for trying the combination out at a store myself, but there are no EA dealers in my immediate area. I'm trying to save myself a needless trip over the hill.

5. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I've never tried the ART tube pre, though I know some people really like them and they may be right to. I'm just skeptical that simply putting a tube in the signal chain makes things better. I've played some really mediocre tube amps. Neve mic preamps, which many people regard as the best around, were always solid state. Just having a tube doesn't automatically mean it sounds better

I think what makes the Avalon work is that it's a high voltage, high current device, so it handles the lows and the highs really well. It has plenty of power for reproducing the lows especially, and there's little or no distortion in the signal. But I'm not even close to an expert and i may be way off

6. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Thanks for the reply. I know that's not the intended purpose of the ART and I was pretty sure that the Wizzy-powered needs something more substantial. I'm going to do some thread research on the Avalon.