1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wizzy stacks and volume

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Phil Redman, Jun 22, 2007.

1. I'm currently running a Wizzy 1x12 powered by a QSC PLX 1602 (which is way overkill in terms of power for a single Wizzy :eek:). I'd like to ditch the QSC for something lighter and more hassle-free. The EA Micro is tempting but I'd like the option of getting another Wizzy for loud gigs and I'm not sure the Micro will cut it running two Wizzy's loud. Given the power of the Micro into the 2 ohm load presented by two Wizzy's (325 watts), and the power handling capacity of the Wizzy (200 or 250 watts, depending on where you look) if I go with the Mico would I really gain much in terms of volume by running two Wizzy's off of it? They'd be underpowered substantially the way it looks to me.

Any of you geniuses know how to calculate the SPL of a Wizzy running at ~160 watts rather than full power? :meh:

Thanks,
    Phil

2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Perhaps a Clarus instead? One Wizzy at 400 watts, two (at 2 ohms) at 500 watts total (250 watts each).

3. I've thought about that. The EA amps seem to garner more favor amongst EB players, which is a factor for me, plus the micro is cheaper and is two-channel (great for doublers). There's the two channel Clarus but that's even more costly. I wish I could do a side-by-side comparison...

Thanks,
    Phil

4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    If it helps, I double with EUB and EB and the Clarus via a Boss AB pedal. It's possible to get tones and volumes pretty close to the same or perhaps a twist of the bass knob on the amp.

I've also thought that active basses sound better through the Clarus than do passive basses, with the active basses coming through a bit clearer. Yesterday, I tried my Clarus/Wizzy with a newly acquired G&L Tribute L-2500 and it sounded nice.

5. Phil,

Even if the power remains the same, volume will increase noticeably when you add a second cab. Adding a second Wizzy is equivalent to increasing your amplifier power by 3 dB, which is significant and is like going from 300 to 600 watts. Another important thing to consider is that, for the same SPL level, two identical cabs will each have to work half as hard as just one of the cabs would. Two cabs can develop quite a bit more sound, especially down low, than a single Wizzy can.

6. I'm inclined to think the 2xWizzy/Micro stack would suit my needs even if the Wizzy's aren't at full power. Maybe a 10/12 would do the trick and add some versatility as well.

Thanks,
    Phil

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

If you were to add a second Wizzy, your amplifier power would have to increase by 3 dB in order to drive them both at the level at which the original one was driven. The increase in acoustic power you achieve will depend upon how the waveforms add and could, ideally, be as much as 6 dB. Assuming independent addition, then the increase would be 3 dB. Yes, this is like going from 300 to 600 watts but I don't consider it much of a change as it is a small to modest increase in loudness.

You may wish to see this thread regarding the stacking of cabs.

8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Yes, but I'm no genius. At it's rated power of 200 watts, it is claimed that the Wizzy achieves 126 dB SPL. A power of 165 watts is 0.8 dB below 200 watts (10*LOG(165/200)). So, driven with 165 watts, the Wizzy would achieve 125.2 dB SPL.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't tried the Micro300 yet (other than at NAMM), but my favorite (solid state) head so far with two Wizzy's (be they M-line or regular) is the iAMP800. The iAMP500 sounds great, too, but the 800 just kicks it a bit more when driving a 2 ohm load.

Tom.

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    That 2-ohm load is going to be your limiting factor when considering an amp to run a pair of Wizzys. Most of them are 4-ohms. In simple layman's terms, I'd say that a pair of Wizzys produces more than twice the sound of one, across all ranges.

11. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I just got my second Wizzy 10 today (just in time for a gig I had tonight). I used two Wizzys with the Micro for an outdoor church concert we did tonight with a crowd of about 200. The little Micro was pushed to the limit (input gain all the way up, master just about all the way up), but it managed to keep up. I quickly A/B'd it with a single cabinet vs. the two and the volume increase with both cabinets was definately noticable. I needed to beef up the bass a little bit and back off on the mid just a hair because it sounded a bit honky with everything flat. It wasn't pants flapping loud, but I was able to cut through the mix and hear myself without any real problems. Not sure I'd be so quick to use this rig again on another outdoor show, but it did get me through the gig.

- Frank.

12. That's very helpful input! I'd be using two Wizzy 12's. Not sure if that would louder than the 10's or not. I did a small outdoor gig with my current rig recently and it managed pretty well. No drummer involved. Was your gig with URB or EB?

Thanks,
    Phil

13. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    EB. I knew from the start that this gig was going to push the limits of the Micro/Wizzys but I've been dying to try it out live and this was the first opportunity, so I took the chance.

14. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I was under the impression that the Wizzy 10s only came in a 4 ohm version and the Micro only went down to 4 ohms, am I wrong how did you run 2 wizzy 10s with the micro?

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Micro is 2 ohm stable, I believe.

16. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    You are correct sir. The Micro is 2 ohm stable, rated at 325 watts at both 4 ohms or 2 ohms.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021