wood chipped off plywood top

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Humph, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Humph

May 23, 2004
    Warren, NJ
    I was just leaving my lesson and was putting my bag back on my Kay C-1 and a little piece of the top chipped off. :crying:
    It is only about 1/2 inch by 2 inches. It is right at the edge of the top.
    I was wondering if anyone could help, My bass has been repaired before. I can see an old chip that was repaired.
    I looked through the newbie section under repair but couldn't find anything on this subject.
    Should I just use a little superglue and then gently sand the chip with really fine sandpaper(220 or higher)?
    Any help would be appreciated
  2. Humph

May 23, 2004
    Warren, NJ
    I figured it out, hide glue.
    Sorry about the dumb@$$ question.
    Now I jus tneed to find where to buy it.
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Run the bass and the piece to the repair shop and it'll probably cost a lot less than doing it yourself.
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Would that necessarily have to be a hide glue repair? I mean, given that plywood isn't bonded together with hide glue, could you perhaps go with CA or Titebond?

Luthiers, :bag: please don't kill me.
  5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    This is one repair where I wouldn't worry about using hide glue, provided it is done properly- sounds pretty simple. That said, you can often find the premixed hide glue in better hardware stores. Comes in a small bottle like Elmers. It's not as good as the "real thing" but should be ok. Please note that there is an expiration date on the reverse label.
  6. Humph

May 23, 2004
    Warren, NJ
    Yeah, I think you are right about not really needing hide glue.
    I showed my teacher the chip today. He said he just fixed a Kay cello that had a chip pretty similar to mine & he used something similar to tite-bond, I think it was elmer's wood glue. Because it isn't a carved top, hide glue isn't absolutley necessary except where the top and sides meet.
    So, if I can find the hide glue easily I'll get some if not I might just use wood glue. He suggested using a quikclamp to hold it while the glue sets. Just make sure to wipe up any excess.
    Thanks for your input. :hyper: