Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wood endpin, bag suggestions?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Nuno A., Dec 19, 2005.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Im on the market for a new bass bag, but because of the fact that my bass has a wood endpin, i really dont know what to do, the endpin is fixed to the bass, doesnt go out like some wood endpins i have seen, i would like to get a bass bag like the new one from Bob G., with wheels, but with this endpin i wouldnt be able to use the wheels, im kinda thinking of changing to a regular endpin, but on the other hand, i dont want to change something that has been on the bass for more than 100 years.. guys with experience with these kind of end pins, would changing it improve the sound? what are your suggestions?
    thanks in advance

NUNO

2. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    I know someone who had a detachable wodden endpin and it broke. I'd say just get a new one. Or, find some way to make it detachable

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I don't think changing it will impact the sound very much at all. Although, I would say that the idea of transporting a bass around with the endpin extended (or in your case fixed but extended) sure seems like a recipe for disaster.

I would go to the modern collapsible style if only for convenience and safety.

4. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    This thread makes me recall seeing Ron Carter playing this year at ISB. His Juzek was rigged where he had a fixed length wooden endpin that was easily removed from the bass and he just stuck it in his bow quiver when he was through playing.

Ike

5. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, I saw Ron Carter a few years back and he had the same thing. I've always wondered whether he does it for the sound, or just for the convenience of a fixed height?

basscrazy72, I say get rid of the thing and put a new metal pin on it. Removing the wooden one will not harm the value or the tone of the instrument. What WILL harm the bass is if you're walking around with that thing and it snags on something. Then your instrument will be in a world of pain.

6. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    hello basscrazy72

i have seen the bass has a stiff metal tailpiece-cord.
    i would also recommend to change the tailpiece-cord.
    i use tailpiece-cords from velvet, and they improved the sound very much. the bass sounds more open, and responds very quickly and seperates fast notes in the low register much better then with a steel cord. and they are made in switzerland...

you could do this in the same occasion while changing the endpin.

bassist14

7. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I'll do that for sure, my other 2 basses have the velvet tailpiece cord, and i did notice that the sound on both basses opened quite a bit... and velvet is only 15 mn from my place...
    now the quest is.... what endpin? :p
    i guess there will always be something ....

NUNO

8. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    In an interview he said that he has two, one for the stage and one for the studio (different heights). He doesn't like to mess with screws and hardware - he likes to just pop em on and off. I'll take a guess that he went to Traeger.

9. Beyone the guess, Ron Carter wrote the "Fiveword" (his take on the foreward) to Chuck Traeger's book. Chuck does recommend a wooden endpin, in fact a drumstick if you have nothing better. Whether it makes a difference is debatable, but I don't intend to get into that. I will say that changing the weight, material, length, etc. will change the sound somewhat. Difficult to say whether it will be noticeable, better, or worse, without trying it. Another famous player, Ray Brown, also used a fixed length wooden endpin.

All of that said, I would find a way to make it detachable. If I changed it, I would make sure it was the right height for your playing style and use the current pin as a turning guide for the new detachable one.

10. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC

I tried a 2B drumstick the other day. Didn't notice much of a difference. It's now my spare endpin since my current one is on its last days........