1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wood species modelling basses...the Grainiax!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hover, Oct 18, 2013.

1. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ok, In light of the Dingwall Lee Sklar hybrid species body ad-copy, I just would find it hilarious if there was a Variax-themed bass out there that also took wood species into the "anticipated tone profile" of the modeling algorithm.

Someone is gonna do it sometime, eventually....a tone Charlatan with snake-oil switching.... just to add a new bank of sounds...I guess this thread could serve as my "trademark of the idea" in case I want to enter litigation with Line 6...

Setting 368: P Bass, Hot wound pickups, Pine Body, Rosewood on Maple neck, @97 titebond glue, hipshot ultralite tuners.

What would be some more ludicrous "patch parameters" you could think of?

2. Perhaps a solid ebony body setting? No streaks, of course. ;)

3. NH Bassist

NH Bassist

Oct 18, 2013
    Acid bass for the players that liked the idea of a synth sort of sound???

4. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    that's funny right there

5. This is easily one of the best/worst thread ideas ever. My hat is off to the OP. WONDERFUL and HORRID torture.

....and now, to the question....

(gosh, i love this)

Ok, on a different Forum I suggested the tonewood problems associated with a flamed top AND a flamed neck. In other words, the bookmatched flame top has flame going in roughly vertical/diagonal fashion, and the neck has cross-hatching. Assuming also a horizontally flamed board for the flamed neck, one can only imagine the tonal problems: the tonewood grains clash!

....parameter THAT in your imaginary axe, right?

:bag:

6. Here, this might help with your logic model during the development phase of your wiring diagram....

:D

[​IMG]

hover likes this.
  7. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Please take into account the compass orientation of the lumber taken from an ash tree, (grown in the northern latitudes, near 45 degrees north) when creating your model.

It's a known fact that lumber from the north facing part of an ash tree makes the best sounding body wood.

8. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Oy! the wood police are going to be out in force soon. Run!

9. I love the phrase, "...known fact..."

10. j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    quartersawn neck vs flat sawn neck switch!

11. LOL!

wow....

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You guys are cracking me up here, bravo!!!!

I cannot wait for the tortoiseshell pickguard vs. gold anodized w/ chrome / black chrome sub-menu settings.

That shizz is gonna sound glorious.

13. For an upcharge you can also have the "wood electronics cavity cover vs plastic electronics cavity cover switch" but only the tone snobs go for that, as you already know.

14. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Include a "Swamp Knob" to increase/decrease the swamp levels in the ash setting.

Need Gigs, dinodino and seansv like this.
  15. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Also, "Swamp ash", "Northern ash", and their lesser-discussed cousins: "Upscale Suburban ash", "Chic-downtown loft ash" and, of course, "Grown out behind the Meetin' house ash".

BioWeapon likes this.
  16. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That. is. glorious. lol...what better way to sound current an hip, than to play a SoHo-ash J with Venti-Mocha-Starbucker pickups?

Need Gigs likes this.
  17. j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    lmao

I also thing a headstock angle knob could that also gradually changes the nut material from bone to brass could be effective.

18. It'll still need to come with special hearing aids. Ya'know, for those who cant hear worth a damn.

On second thought, nevermind. Even special hearing aids won't help the ones with "Ears-to-Brain Disconnect Syndrome".

Let's call that.... EBDS. lol

19. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Don't forget the best species: "NICE ASH"!

20. They could use a switch to toggle between standing and seated tone.

Need Gigs likes this.