1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Woodworking: Cleaning a table saw blade

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fdeck, Aug 4, 2012.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My table saw has a nice carbide-tipped blade. It's still quite sharp, but has a lot of gum built up around the teeth. Is there a quick, safe way of cleaning it?

2. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Simple Green with a nylon bristle brush. Rinse and dry.

3. I use Mineral spirits or Turpentine. Pour some into a large enough old frying pan and put the blade in it for a few hours. Take it out and use a pot scrubber called a TUFFY to take the crust off.

Be sure to NOT put any WD-40 or LPS on the blade when you get it clean or you'll be scrubbing it again - soon.

4. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Or, go to an auto parts store and buy a pan for oil changes. The solvent won't damage it. You could use carb cleaner, if you want. It's a matter of what kinds of solvents you want to use and how soon you want it clean. I try to avoid betting my blades wet with water- the expansion slots can rust and when that happens, it can clog the slots, making them ineffective. This means the blade will warp when it gets hot and that's dangerous- the wood can be pinched between the blade and fence, causing it to kick back.

Use paste wax to coat any cutting tools- it keeps the pitch from sticking as badly and makes cleanup faster. It's a good thing to do to the table top, miter slots, fence face and miter gauge, too. The last thing you want is for anything to stick and let go unexpectedly.

Use paste wax without silicone- it's impossible to get a good finish if silicone is in/on the wood.

5. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Good point.
    I dry the blade off with a paper towel and use compressed air to blow out the slots.
    I clean my blades often so they don't have to "soak" very long at all. I don't actually submerge the blade in a container--I just lay it my p-lam run-off table and pour a small amount of Simple Green and scrub with the brush. Maybe five minutes.

I've used this stuff for my blades in the past and it works fine. I'm too cheap to use it all the time. Keeping them clean seems to work OK for me.

edit: I've used this CMT product too. SG seem to work almost as effectively and is cheaper.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/20...0-blade-and-bit-cleaner-18-ounce.aspx#Reviews

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Thanks for the tips. I've got plenty of kerosene, and a small stainless steel tray. So I'll give that a try first.

7. lwknives

lwknives

May 6, 2012
    Turn the saw on and hold a saw blade up to it as it spins! That will make the job go faster!

Dont do that.....

Sorry....

8. KOakley

KOakley

Sep 26, 2002
    Hampton Va
    I've used oven cleaner with good results.