1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Woohoo! My $75 Craigslist find!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MadJap, Sep 27, 2009.

1. MadJap

MadJap

Aug 26, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I keep an eye out on the local CL, just to see if I can find bargains....usually, at least in my area, I find that people want way more than what the items are worth....but sometimes, I get lucky.

Here's what I consider to be the best CL find for me. All original, fully functioning Peavey T-40 from 1982. I just picked this up last Wednesday. Spent the last 10 days or so going through it, and the result just brings smiles to my face.

This thing was dirty! the frets had green patina on it like I've never seen. After clean-up, I found that the chrome is nicely aged, bubbling in some places, but I feel it adds to the character. I had to replace one of the humbucker surrounds because it was cracked....and rewire the electronics because of a botched mod attempt.

After the reassembly, I am glad to report that this thing is sweet! I know these things are supposed to sound very Rick-like, but I had no idea how close! I haven't picked up any of my other basses since I got this put together.

This thing will keep me company for a little while, until I feel I can part with it for a few weeks to address the small separation in the base of the neck, and some set-up to get the action lower.

And now, the pics!

t40_f.

t-40_b.

t40_head.

t40_body.

frets.

2. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Awesome!!!

3. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Mar 5, 2009
    Nice score!

She's a beauty.

4. im jealous:spit:

jk....congrats:D

5. Yodhan

Yodhan

Dec 10, 2007
    And I thought that my finding my '84 T-40 for $220 was a steal.

Beautiful.

6. That is amazing.

7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    NICE score ! I love T40s ! The sunburst is stunning. I have a black and maple that I wish I paid $75 bucks for.

8. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    WOW! That thing looks awesome...if the frets looked any bad when you got it like you say, you really fixed it up good! They look amazingly clean.

9. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Great FIND!

10. haha... you must be the guy that beat me to it... this from the guy in Fernindina?

11. MadJap

MadJap

Aug 26, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Guilty as charged!

One hell of a drive, but it paid off.

12. Great find. I have always liked the look of that bass

13. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    Congrats, but how does/ did it smell?
    Seriously though, that's one cool bass for $75!

14. What a bargain. I'm really jealous :ninja:.

15. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Right on bro!!! How's the weight on it???

16. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    that Sunburst is awesome
    from one T-40 owner to another, well done

17. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    thats a sweet price i just sold one like that with a rosewood board for 350$

18. wallshakerpbass

wallshakerpbass

Jun 18, 2009
    looks pretty sweet. i love the burst and black pickguard

19. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    I believe the color of your bass was a special order because the leader of my first band in the 70's worked for a music store that sold Yamaha and Peavey equipment only. I had every piece of Peavey bass equipment available to man. My rig consisted of a bi-amped Markbass amp, with an external power source CS-800, and a 2/15 and 4/12 speaker cabinets. I had a black and natural T-40, but the store could never get a sunburst T-40. What a wonderful find!

20. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    sweet, congrats man.