1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Work ethics... Does this blame fall on me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nathan, Mar 7, 2010.

1. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    I work in an ice cream shop.

On our cash register, there is a note that says "do not take $100 bills". I've had to take them in the past before because people buy $30 worth of ice cream and pull one out. I tell them we aren't allowed to take the bill and ask if they have either a card or something smaller. Most of the time, they do. Sometimes they don't, and my manager has told me "in some cases, you have no choice but to take it."

Last week I had to take two $100 bills. One of them was a fake. I have no experience in spotting counterfeit bills and neither the owner of the store or the manager have ever trained me in what to look for to make sure it's real.

So, the owner tells me that he's either going to take $100 out of my next paycheck, or give me the fake bill and see if I can move it for real money and give it to him.

Something about this doesn't sit right with me, and I don't feel like I deserve to be fined $100. I mean, the manager said "sometimes you HAVE NO CHOICE" but nobody ever told me how to spot a fake one. Even though it says not to take them on the register, I still don't feel like I'm completely to blame. I feel like it's worse that the owner would ask me to commit a felony and risk getting in big trouble by moving the bill.

What are your thoughts on this? Can you give me some advice in what I should do?

2. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    No matter what you decide to do about your job, do not try to pass the counterfeit bill. The trouble is NOT worth $100 if you are caught. If you think the job is worth it, take the hit in pay, or maybe split the loss and stay, get the owner to buy the special pen you can mark bills with to see if they are fake so this can't happen again.

Otherwise leave. If you get another job working with cash learn to spot fakes and have a understanding with the owner on the matter.

3. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    what state do you live in?

4. guitarchaser

guitarchaser

Mar 6, 2010
    Scotland
    The stores in the company I work for have pen detectors and even at that they sometimes still can't spot a fake note. I do think it's wrong for him to say you're to take the hit for it when you weren't trained on how to detect them.

In the past our stores had been told to take the notes to the police to get them out of circulation but now they are just advised to bank them and let the banks handle them, as long as they don't go back out to the public if it is known about, even if the store will take the hit.

If there was no choice but to take it and no training had been given to spot the fake note then you weren't in the wrong.

As for what you can do I'm not sure. Is the shop you work in on it's own or are there a few of them about?

5. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    I live in Texas.

It's a big chain store, there are a few here in Austin.

6. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    (800) 832-2829.

He should have fake markers readily available and if you have been told previously by a manager that under circumstances you have to take it then you are certainly not at fault. also once you have worked for your wages and put in the time he cannot legally withold any portion of your check.

the 800 number is for the Texas Employees hotline to the State Department of Labor.thye can not only give you the proper legal advise but also its documented so if there are any issues that come up like backlash from your employer they can take further actions.

hope this helps

make sure you mention the suggestion of the felony.

7. Fake money falls under " the clost of doing business". Tell him to stick that bill where the sun don't shine.

8. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Your employer suggested that you use a fake 100$ bill. If there's one problem with ethics somewhere in this story, it's this.

9. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    The fact that he told you to try to pass the $100 off yourself is ridiculous and I'm sure he could get in trouble for that... That being said, I personally don't think it's your responsibility to pay the $100. If you had disobeyed the rules , then maybe, but you were told that sometimes you have to take them...so really it's nobody's fault but the counterfeiter, or perhaps those responsible for not giving you the appropriate training.

10. Your idol is right. Call that number.

11. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    Cool man, I'll definitely give that number a call as soon as I can.

12. Do you have a regional or district manager?
    Can you call corporate?

I would explain the situation to them INCLUDING the 'move the fake for real money' bit.

13. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    This

Tell the sod to spend it himself if he wants, but a small business owner suggesting you spend a fake bill is disgusting, from what I can see it looks like he got what he deserved.

I don't see how you can be blamed, im sure you can come to a compromise, otherwise start looking for a new job.

14. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    BINGO.. have this "budgeted" in a estimated loss.

15. Okay. This is what you do, In this order. 1. Call that 800 number. Do whatever it is they tell you to do. 2. Call your district manager. Tell him you've called the 800 number. If he says "well you should have come to me first" that's code for "I'm trying to cover my ass" tell him you just wanted to be covered. 3. If your district manager seems unreceptive, then climb the rungs of the ladder until you get to someone who cares.

16. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    definetly call the number. sure does sound like you have a craphole of a boss....

17. While there probably no way to prove it. He was trying to convince you to commit fraud. Surely his bosses would like to hear that?

18. I'd also tell your manager to take a flying EFF. You'll immediately feel better and year's later you'll have something to laugh about :)

19. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    The rules are set in place for a reason. Just because a manager or someone higher up told you to break the rules just once, still doesnt make it right.

Also, you work for ****** people. Find a new job.

20. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

absolutely against the law .
    the owner of the outlet chain you work for needs to know about this ...
    great advice ...
    call the number today !!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020